Author Topic: Thanksgiving Table...........  (Read 4869 times)

Offline chamookman

Thanksgiving Table...........
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:05:25 am »
What's gonna be on Yours ? I'm doing a nice Farm raised Duck and My famous Sausage stuffing. Plus a Bud and I are running an hour and a half North today, to one of the best Markets in Michigan. Smoked Fish are Our target - Salmon, Lake Trout and Chubs - MMMMMMMMMMMMM. That and I bet some of their smoked "Hunter Stiks" will be coming Home too  O:). Happy Thanksgiving all ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Thanksgiving Table...........
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:48:20 am »
Hey Bob, where exactly is this " best market in michigan". There's one in Mackinac that a buddy of mines goes to, some awesome smoked whitefish there. Can't remember the name off hand though, I'll have to ask my friend.

This year for thanksgiving, it's not at our house. So, I'm not in charge of the main dish. Store bought turkey it is. I couldn't get a wild bird in close enough for the longbow this fall.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Dave - Go North on 75 to the Rose City exit (M-33). Go north about a mile or so and there will be a gas station/store on the right hand side. The name is Narsky's Market. Absolute best Smoked Fish, sausages, Jerky and such + a good old fasioned meat market. I can't get out of there without spending an easy $50.00  ::). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:31:14 pm »
It will be just Marcia and I tomorrow. I'll be cooking the turkey dinner while Marcia watches the parade and dog show after that.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:12 am »
One fresh turkey, one in the smoker, and a ham.  Then a whole roasting pan of nothing but homemade-from-scratch stuffing made from various homemade breads from the last few months that I had cubed and dried in the oven.

I am starting three loaves of bread in the morning, too.  One white, one wheat, and one rye.  I assembled the necessities for a pie today, but don't tell anyone it don't have punkin in it....am using carrots and gonna laugh when it's all slicked up and no one notices!  I peeled the taters and boiled them today, plus roasting several sweet potatoes.  That way I only have to reheat them later. 

I dug to the bottom of the chest freezer and pulled out a dozen ears of corn that I had roasted on the grill at the peak of season.  They will get warmed in the microwave prior to serving, too. 

Someone is bringing the green bean casserole, can't have Thanksgiving without it, in my opinion.  Cranberries were farmed out to a friend that makes the best whole cranberry relish I have ever eaten, bar none.

I have put out the invitations to a whole lot of folks and have 14 rsvp's from people that had nowhere else to go for the day.  My whole kitchen will be filled with warming dishes and hot plates.  I will start feeding folks about noon and probably see the last of them show up around 4 p.m.  I always follow a new arrival thru the buffet and load a tripled up paper plate with everything they serve themselves.  They think I am just loading a plate for myself, but when they go to sit down, I wrap the plate and mark their name on it.  It's my way of making sure they take leftovers home, but only things they like. 

All told, by watching sales and taking advantage of coupons throughout the year, I am doing this whole feast for under $90.  I am downright poor, but I can scrape this up.  I know for some of the people that slide their feet under my table this will be the best meal they see for the year. 

And I give thanks that while I have far from all I want, I have very few needs left unmet.  I am thankful that I have enough that I can give back, because so many have so often given to me when I was in need.  I am thankful for all of you here on this forum and for all you do to be supportive of newcomers and old timers alike. 

So tomorrow morning when I get up at 4:00 to start the smoker, I am going to start listing names of people I am thankful for.  Quite a few of you I only know by username, some by real names, and others by the bows I have seen you post.  Even if I miss a whole lot of people, I may not finish my giving thanks before I run out of day.  What can I say, I am a lucky guy and I know I am blessed beyond anything I ever deserved. 

Take a slice and pass it along.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:49 am »
Sounds like the place to be JW, all the good you do at this shindig will come back to tenfold
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:02:34 am »
Outstanding Jdub - exactly what this day is all about, good on You ! Bob

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the info Bob! I'll be needing to cheek that place out for sure.

John, sounds like one heck of a feast. That's a good attitude to have all year, but that's what thanksgiving is all about right there. Being thankful, family, friends, and food.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
As usual, I ran out of day before I ran out of things for which I am thankful.

And now I have leftovers to be thankful for, imagination to create new dishes from those leftovers to be thankful for, and plenty of room in the freezer for those leftovers since I didn't draw a deer tag to be thankful for. 

Hope you all had an even better Thanksgiving!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.