Author Topic: old longbow question  (Read 3019 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
old longbow question
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:04:50 pm »
Hello fellas I was lucky enough to pick up an old longbow at my local fleamarket today. It's made of wood is 70" and has one horn nockat the top the other end is a blunt point. It looks like it was commercially made It has a label which looks like playres Ltd London and 39 (I'm guessing that's the draw weight as it feels around 40#). It shoots lovely  :)
Anyway my question is should I get a horn nock for the other end.  I don't see how to secure the string otherwise! ???
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PatM

Re: old longbow question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:18 pm »
How are you shooting it now if you can't secure the string?

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:31:41 am »
I just wrapped some electrical tape round the pointed end. But I've only taken a couple of shots so far to See how it shot.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
It's supposed to have a horn nock at both ends so yes put another on.  Usually the bottom horn nock is smaller than the top one so make or buy one to match
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »
Thanks Marc! :)