Author Topic: Shaft Materials: Youpon and "River Cane":  (Read 8764 times)

Offline Thunder

Re: Shaft Materials: Youpon and "River Cane":
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »

Hey GlisGlis,
Thanks and you're right those things look huge  :) Here's a pic with a Magnus 125 gr glue on point for scale. I got them from an online store (not sure if I can mention the name) just to try them out. They are 28" from the throat of the nock to the base of the point, a barrel taper 5/16 at point, 11/32 center, 5/16 at nock. They spine around 55# and weigh 600 grains total  with the 150 grain points. I have 2 others finished with 145 gr field points and they shoot great.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Thunder

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »
URL=http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/thundersdad/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141127_221825_zpsaxmx4tqb.jpg.html][/URL]URL=http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/thundersdad/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141127_221811_zpsdmlbnr4o.jpg.html][/URL]
Hey Russ,
These are Phragmite Reed w/ Yaupon foreshafts...they're a lot more durable than you would think. Something you could probably make with the materials you have available. What part of Texas are you in?
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »
Thunder ... how long are those foreshafts?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »
Nice looking arras  :) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Thunder

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:15 pm »
Hey Knoll,
Those foreshafts are 4 1/4" to the back of the point.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:57 pm »
Comancheria, AD is rare in areas that are open to the public.  It's very common on private property.   ;D O:)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
Well, as follow up, Pat, what you say goes along with what a game biologist told me.  He said the stuff along that highway are pure stands of Pjragmites.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!