Author Topic: Question: How to make primitive torches  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Ishi1234

Question: How to make primitive torches
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
For a while now I have been pondering how to make a torch. Most internet sources require some noctious chemical to be used. But does anyone know of a more primitive style torch? (Probably animal fat or pine pitch as examples.)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Question: How to make primitive torches
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:17 pm »
I saw a youtube video where a guy soaked cattail in melted fat. Other than that i have seen them made from twig bundles and bark bundles. The bundle torches drop a lot of embers onto the ground.
Steve Bennett

Offline Ishi1234

Re: Question: How to make primitive torches (turtle)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:22:53 pm »
Does that mean that some cloth can be soaked in fat and be used a a torch?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »
How about pine pitch?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:13 pm »
Hey Paul -
This is Ben from Buckeye.

There are lots of ways to make torches. Denim, cotton, or linen with pine resin and maybe a little bees wax. search the PA site for pitch glue - same mix should work for torches. soak the layers in the mixture and wrap securely around your handle. Pine knots from old logs when the pitch gets into them, "Fat wood" burns long too. I am sure there are other means , but that is what came to my head at the moment.

Good luck.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:23:55 pm »

All the above, and you can use Birch Bark oil.  You just take a can, and put a wad of Birch Bark in it, and set it by the fire, or in some coals, and after awhile, you will have a black oil in the bottom of the can.  You can also just use the birch bark.  The oil in it is what makes it so useful in fire starting, and why it burns so long. ;)

Wayne

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 12:57:37 am »
For pine pitch, I've found that if you use it by itself, it'll drip flaming bits all over the place. My preferred method for containing burning pine pitch is a clay bowl or a thick seashell(lined with clay, shell is decomposed by heat), that way it can't drip out unless you tip it over. Split a branch, wedge in the shell/bowl and you've got your torch! be sure to add some plant fluff to act as a wick. 

Offline Buck67

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 10:02:18 pm »
Depending on how primitive you want to get.  A roll of toilet paper in a large tin can that has been soaked in kerosene will burn for a long time.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:40 pm »
Primitive torches only burn for short periods...  less than 5 minutes in most cases.  Torches that burn for a longer time are more like lamps:  there is a wick and a liquid that is flammable  (as already mentioned).  Placing and actual lamp on a stick is also a solution.

Torches blow out easy.  They are very smoky and they will catch your hair (or fur coat) on fire if you're not careful.  You will need several tucked into your belt of you want to light your way for any length of time.  I've made many different types (mostly bundles of stuff that looked like upside-down brooms).  They are all a pain in the butt.  It's no wonder that ancient man preferred the light from the moon when moving at night.   ;)

That said, a large fatwood stick makes the best torch in my opinion.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 05:52:41 pm »
If you have river cane in your area, you can bundle the stalks tie them off and use that as a torch.  They burn reasonably well.  Prehistoric Mammoth Cave explores used torches like this to get around inside.  I am not use I would be brave enough to do that.  I would want several spares and the thought of starting a fresh fire in the dark would give me some anxious feelings.   :( :(