Author Topic: noob questions  (Read 5116 times)

Offline jayman448

noob questions
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:30:47 am »
I can not for the life of me thin a flake or create long pressure or bopper flakes. what could I be doing wrong? I don't cook my rock. does this have anything to do with it?

Offline knapperboy

Re: noob questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:35:38 am »
That could be some of it. More likely you are just not building up enough pressure to drive a long flake. Have you tried obsidian or glass? That would be the best starting place. What kind of rock are you trying to knap? This could also be some troube trying rock that is too hard for yourself.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »
To be honest I dont know what it is. I just knkw the guys at my archery club knap it. I can get ugly chunks off but its very hard to get a decent flake.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:12 pm »
Practice, practice, practice. Some here make it look easy. I have made leaps and bounds from the beginning. The only way to get better is to keep at it. How long is your flaker, and what sized bopper are you using?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »
Its just a little hand flaker.for percussion ive used stones or the end of a deer antler. I really dont have much gear.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »
How long is the flaker? I realized lately that my pressure flaker is too short, you get more torque out of a longer flaker.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »
There are numerous possible answers as to why your flakes are running short. If they are going in and hinging out or breaking off, you may not be putting enough energy into the strike. If they are feathering out short, make sure that the striking platform is decidedly to the flake side of the center line and strike more into the rock than across the rock. In other words, put the force of the strike more in the direction of (but not exactly in the direction of) the flake path. Show a few detailed photos, and we can give more specific advice.

WA

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:09 pm »
Jojo. My flaker is maybe five or so inches long. Ill send some pics soon.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:27:14 pm »
sorry it took so long to post pics.
pic one is my gear... all of my gear plus a sample of the rock I knapp.

the rest are of a glass head I made last night. notice the poor flake pattern. I can not for the life of me get long thinning flakes

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »
It looks kinda like you've got the wrong angle. Like you're pushing to hard downward and not hard enough outward. Try to find a mentor to watch you knap. That would be the best way to fix the problem

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33:23 pm »
unfortunately there is not really a knapping community around here. all the other guys here are no better off XD

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 02:16:56 am »
Do you have access to YouTube? Tons of great Videos that will help you get along. Of course there's nothing better than just practicing.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 03:20:28 am »
I do have access to youtube. I just really need help thinning. I have thown away so many useable flakes because I can not thin em. but you said more pressure inwards? ill try my best. do I need to knapp the edge in a certain way? (like I have never been shown anything and am kinda flying by the seat of my pants

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:08 am »
Don't throw them away. At some point you will be able to thin them. I have noticed an improvement in my own in a few short months. Don't give up.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:57:24 am »
This may sound kind of strange, bur for a bit anyway, stop trying to make a point. Instead, take a bunch of flakes or just some glass, and practice setting up platforms and driving flakes. The object is just to practice, trying different things and at some point you are going to have a couple "Wow" flakes. Build on what you did and just keep working on your skills. Not having to worry about messing up a point your working on will make a big difference. After a lot of trial and error, things start to come together. And like the others said, if you don't have someone around that can help you out, hit the YouTube videos. You can learn a ton watching them.