Author Topic: A hornbow for a beginner/basic questions  (Read 8666 times)

Offline HoorayHorace

A hornbow for a beginner/basic questions
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:29:44 am »
Good afternoon  :)

I am thinking of attempting to make a horn bow or two, mainly because I have the materials (wood, horn and sinew)

a) what is the easiest design for a beginner like myself? b) How long to make a good bow, as I understand it is at least a month before each sinew layer? c) What is the best climate for a hornbow to thrive? I understand dry climate is best, and a humid climate is bad?

Thanks  ;)

EDIT
I have never sinew backed before, so maybe I should start trying that a few times before using horn? I want to do it right from the beginning.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:32:57 am by HoorayHorace »

Offline HoorayHorace

Re: A hornbow for a beginner/basic questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:17:30 pm »
55 views and no takers  :-\

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »
yep,, you need to  practice sinewing,,how many other type bows have you built?  composite horn bows can be difficult even for seasoned experienced bowyers, not trying to dishearten you,,just realistic,, but if you going to go for it straight on,, you will get all the help you can stand,, plenty of helpers here,,,
what kind of horn have you got ,,species,size?

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:45:52 pm »
Horace, where are you located. I am in central Fl. I've done several sinew backed bows, but I just broke my first attempt at a composite bow. I had a weak spot in the wood core that I thought I could fix, didn't work, when I sinewed the limbs, the natural retraction of the sinew broke the core and the horn delamed, or maybe the other way around, DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS, the caps are deliberate. I did save the horn and most of the sinew, on to the next one with more knowledge.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:37 am »
I'm also working on my first horn bow. I've done 3 wood/sinew bows and think it's pretty important to not skip that step. I'm building a horn/sinew bow, no wood core. Until Adam prints more "Ottoman Turkish bows" which is actually a text book on composite bows, the book "native american bows" has good info too

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
Sorry for the late reply. Ok, i am thinking of a simple d shortbow. About 38 nock to nock. I think i shall make one up with sinew only, then make a full hornbow for the next. How long on average does it take to make a hornbow? I have heard a year?

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »
Don't know, haven't got there yet, try to contact James Parker, don't mix him up with Eddie, he is a star and Eddie is an extra, I'm not there.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Tc

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:51:24 am »
Gluing the core takes a few days. Gluing  the horn takes at least 3-4 weeks.(including sizing and drying, it must be perfect to avoid delamination later, but in the meantime you can shape the wood core to prepair for sinewing). If you put on 3 sinew layers, it takes another 3 weeks. And seasoning....for your first bow it is enough to wait 5-6 weeks to start tillering. Later. when you build your very perfect bow of your life seasoning is 6 months - or more.
Tillering time depends on the bow. I am working on a Turkish bow now and it had been on the tepeliks for a week before I could brace it....and shooting this bow is still far away...
I hope it helps a little to estimate the building time, if you have only a free weekend - you probably wont finish it :laugh:

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:46:35 pm »
Is there anything that can substitute the horn, you know, for a beginner?

Does the bowyer Grozer not make some kind of composite bow that isn't a true horn bow

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 04:37:38 am »
Fiberglass or carbon.
A glass bow is probably the best (easiest) way to play about with shapes until you find something you are happy with and want to make out of horn/wood/sinew.
Mind I didn't say a glass bow is easy to make....
to be honest if you aren't already set up to make glass bows and the requisite forms then i'd just bite the bullet and make a true composite. That's what I did  ;)