Author Topic: Want to start primitive but I dont know where and how to start  (Read 7826 times)

Offline frassettor

Want to start primitive but I dont know where and how to start
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
I shoot fiberglass laminated longbows and have for a long time. I have had the desire to go Primitive for a very long time but as the title states, I am not sure how to or how to go about it. I need a mentor. If there is someone out there that can help me fulfill my dream of making a bow and primitive arrows, I would be forever indebt.

Rick

rkfrassetto@hotmail.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Want to start primitive but I dont know where and how to start
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »
Where are you at? What experience do you have building things? What tools do you have? There are a lot of people here who would love to help you out.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:04 pm »
Rick, where do you live. Maybe one of our members lives near you. A good place to start is by checking out a few personal websites like the one George(Jawge) Tsoukalas offers. We have a link at the top of the "How To and Build Along" page. Also join in of the forum by asking questions. You'll get lots of encouragement and advise.
 Welcome to PA. If you like archery, you'll love primitive archery.

ps. I'm going to move this to the "Bows" section for more exposure for you.

Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:34:26 pm »
Here is  one of my favorite build alongs.  Very helpful.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.0.html
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
Having found this website, you have broken the seal on the King Tut's Tomb of primitive archery lore and knowledge. A good next step would be to subscribe to Primitive Archer Magazine just so that the constant input of articles and stories will keep the fire stoked.  Then you may want to visit the many advertisers on this site to pick up a copy of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible, volume 1.  That book has more information in it than you will be able to soak up in 5 years.  It even has a chapter devoted to making a bow from a board. 

Pay particular attention to that chapter, follow it closely, and you will be able to knock out something fairly usable with your first effort.  Be sure, of course, to post pictures of your progress here on the Primitive Archer forum....and then we will digitally mentor you thru the process. 

Welcome to the addiction!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »
   He's from Wisconsin guy's...   I was in your shoes once and bought TBB1, but that was before I had this site. ;)
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:53 pm »
Where abouts in Wisconsin are you? there are a few of us in northern IL.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 02:06:47 am »
Just buy the TBB vol1 and make bows. Then buy vol 2 and make more bows. Repeat and then repeat again and you'll be a master. Making a wooden bow is so much easier to get started on than making a glass bow so just dive on in! Minimal tools needed just determination.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 02:44:08 am »
Just buy the TBB vol1 and make bows. Then buy vol 2 and make more bows. Repeat and then repeat again and you'll be a master. Making a wooden bow is so much easier to get started on than making a glass bow so just dive on in! Minimal tools needed just determination.
... and patience.... and wood   ::)
Good to have another convert on board.
Just jump in and make something long and wide... doesn't matter if it ends up as 20# at 26" you will learn a lot with that first try.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:21:00 am »
This place is far and away the best place to start and learn and share. Better than any book and better than any video. Here you get a collection of knowledge from hundreds of bowyers, not just one or two than can afford to publish a book. Stick around here and read, read, read. Open threads that are asking for help and see why they are asking and what the answers may be.

Enjoy the ride
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tlow13

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »
Hey I am new myself and I just finished my first bow. It came out at 25# at 28 inches. I made it from a piece of red oak I found at lowes. I found a drawknife on craigslist and used that for most of the wood removal, and finished up with a rasp and some files. It's not the prettiest bow but it works. I made a string making jig from instructions online, and bought a spool of B50 dacron on amazon for pretty cheap so I could make my own string. I didn't even use a tillering tree but instead used a mirror, took pictures and used a hanging scale that I got online as well.
I wandered around on this forum for months reading and looking at build alongs. I read the traditional bowyers bible volume 1, and really the best way to learn is to make some wood shavings of your own. I have some c clamps that I used to clamp the board to my balcony at my college apartment.
Trust me if I can make a primitive bow, you can to! Good luck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:16:24 pm »
The best thing to do is get some wood, a board, a sapling anything and get started that's the way with all the free advice that you want, or don't want right here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 06:40:02 pm »
yes just get started,,,,  :)

Offline frassettor

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:56 pm »
I live in Neenah,wi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:39 pm »
Ha!  Yesterday I tripped over a manhole cover made in Neenah! 

You got a Menards close by, check out the hickory and white oak 1x2 and 1x3's.  You want the grain to be straight as possible.  Anywhere where grain runs out the side of the stick is a place where a break will start. 

A spokeshave, a rasp or two, and maybe even a kitchen knife...if it removes wood, it works.  Heck, with enough patience and sandpaper you could make a bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.