Author Topic: 1st bow finally went KABOOOM!  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
1st bow finally went KABOOOM!
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:55 pm »
Back in April was when my 1st bow was finished.  Mollegabet design made from a piece of pine that was laying in the garage.  Made it outta curiosity.  Not seriously expecting it to lead anywhere.
Surprisingly, it held together through tillering.  Of course it shot like a slug.  But stayed in one piece and I shot it almost every week.
Welllll, today the odds caught up.  KABOOOM, at full draw.  No injury, but the bvd's were a bit damp.
Sad happening, but it lasted longer than I dreamed and led to many more bows ... and lotsa fun!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 1st bow finally went KABOOOM!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:18:46 pm »
Aw dang. A moment of silence for an unlikely piece of wood stepping up and filling the gap when he was needed.  That soldier deserves to be awarded the Purple Heartwood Medal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:27:55 pm »
 ;D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
"Necessity is the mother of invention."  Good on you for ignoring the critics and usin what you had at hand. Folks like you that push the boundaries, will enjoy the fruits of uncharted waters!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:58:57 am »
Mollegabet design made from a piece of pine. Wow, that's wishful thinking for your first bow!  :o

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:37 am »
1st timers luck, I guess. 
Looked at the pieces this morning.  Bow actually broke in two under the handle.  Break was caused by handle popping off and that was caused because, back then, I didn't know how to taper fades into limb.
Yep, I was lucky it lasted this long.