Author Topic: Yumi arrow feathers?  (Read 11059 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Yumi arrow feathers?
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:55 pm »
What kind of feathers are they using.  White and black.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yumi arrow feathers?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:31 pm »
Dyed?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:25 pm »
I saw this some where just the other day. Crane, I think, but maybe sea eagle. I'm not much help.
Oh, I found a couple
http://www.godaikatsunaga.com/?page_id=112
http://www.kyudo.com/kyudo-e4.html

I found these by doing a search for "Japanese arrow fletching"

PS
 Then I found this http://www.arkive.org/japanese-crane/grus-japonensis/image-G113293.html

It looks like they would've used the secondaries to get black and white.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:34:03 pm by DC »

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »
its not about feathers or in English but here is a really good video(s) of a Japanese Fletcher working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyejbipavWw&list=PL9907327A8447A869

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »
I sure wish some benevolent soul would translate those videos. I've watched them so many times I can almost speak Japanese. I just love watching a master at work.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »
i know he is amazing right! i'm most  impressed when he uses his knife as a lathe.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:06 pm »
I tried that a half dozen times. Not even close. Very strong hands I guess.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:23 pm »
Dyed?

Yea, I found a site that sells dyed turkey and pheasant feathers.  Nothing they are using is legal here.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:44:50 am »
Many Yumi arrows were fletched with eagle feathers.  The closest legal alternative might be large back and white duck feathers.

---http://www.zuckerfeather.com/feather-types/duck/pointers/duck-pointer-half-white-feathers-natural.html

I've ordered these before and they are between 4 and 6 inches of the useable portion.  You'll need to order quite a bit to get lots of 6" feathers to work with.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:49:49 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »
Hair dye should work.

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:33:33 am »
Holy cow....that Japanese guys arrows are INCREDIBLE.....makes me feel like I've been making rocks compared to those sleek missiles......noah
Don't Panic!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 06:39:27 pm »
I looked up the price of Yumi arrows.....a set is as much as the bow, wich is WAY more than I'd ever be able to afford.   Minot talking about the 3 rivers "starter Yumi", real ones can be over a grand.  Those arrows probably sell for almost 100$ each.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 06:45:47 pm »
Holy cow....that Japanese guys arrows are INCREDIBLE.....makes me feel like I've been making rocks compared to those sleek missiles......noah

The good news is that we don't make arrows that cause sleep loss wen they are lost in the woods, broken or bent in an animal, or hit by other arrows.

That kind of archery has been elevated to a religion.  Their targets are a hit or miss point system, not a graduated system for getting closer to the center.  The back Stop is typically Sand.  I'm  Not even certain they shoot multiple arrows before retrieval.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »
Interesting how the arrow maker uses a WET abrasive on the shafts to smooth them.  I would NEVER expose my shoot shafts to water like that during the sanding process.  I would be too afraid of splitting and warping when they dry.  Bamboo is supernatural material.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »
I agree 150% also I would like to add I was just looking through a crazy crow Trading Post magazine and they sell dyed turkey feathers that look exactly like eagle feathers white and black eagle feathers I think they are for ceremony though and might be like sort of expensive but wouldn't be a bad thing to look at on their website and check it out crazy crow trading post. Comor something like that just google it I get a lot of my primitive archery stuff from there they even sell rockfor flintknapping although I trade for my stuff
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)