Author Topic: Beer-candy bacon  (Read 7022 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Beer-candy bacon
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:36 pm »
Yup, got your attention, didn't I?   >:D

I ran across this recipe tonite on Facebook and I have yet to try it...but you can bet your spare bowstring on the last day of deer season that I WILL!

Ingredients

1 lb thick-cut, high quality bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp beer (I used a Stout)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine brown sugar and beer in a small bowl, whisking well to form a thin syrup. Set aside.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top. Place the pieces of bacon on top of the rack, overlapping if necessary. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and brush one side of the bacon with the beer syrup. Flip, and coat the other side with the syrup as well. Return to oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and repeat process another time or two more, until bacon is crispy and browned, and you've used all the glaze.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Beer-candy bacon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:45:24 am »
You definitely got my attention.  If this was spam in my email I'd still have to open it out of curiosity.  Sounds like a great plan to me let us know!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:07:11 am »
JW - Is there a substitute liquid for beer that would work? Haven't had a drink in almost 22 years, so I don't have alcohol in the house. Would like to try this if I could improvise. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:10:31 am »
Bet you could substitute with a 7-up. I've done that before with beer bread and it worked well.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:20:11 am »
Thanks Scott ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:13:23 pm »
Maybe O'douls beer (non-alcoholic) would be a good substitute. Most of the alcohol evaporates in the cooking process anyway.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
I would think you could substitute almost any liquid. Congrats on the 22 years Bob! It's been just shy of 13 years for me. My first thought for a different liquid was apple cider. Yummy!!

Thanks for posting John! I'll be giving this a test run asap. I'm thinking maybe on the grill though instead of the oven.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dingas

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:37:02 am »
http://www.theclevercarrot.com/2012/12/maple-candied-bacon/

No booze in this one. Haven't tried it . yet.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:35 am »
I tried the 7up with it and it worked fine.  If your oven runs hot, drop the temp about 25 degrees.