Author Topic: Bow woods in Northern Minnesota?  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Greebe

Bow woods in Northern Minnesota?
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:45:58 pm »
Hey everyone,

I would like to start making bows from trees and was looking for advice of what grows up here in northern MN that would work well for making bows. All the "real" bows I have made up to this point have been made from bought lumber and not harvested by myself. I have a 40 acre farm that has red/white oak, white/black ash, maples hard and soft, paper birch, aspen, a few elm, spruce, pine and a few others I am sure. I would prefer not to cut the sugar maple and birch as they make syrup.

While I have not built a bow from green wood I do a lot of green woodworking and carving and am set up with all the equipment to do so. I have shave horses, carving axes, side axes, drawknives, planes, chisels, scrapers, etc.

I know some  common bow woods are osage, yew, and hickory, but none of those grow here. In the past I have used rough cut oak, but I have also had some of those break after a few years.

Thanks for your advise.

Greebe

Offline son of massey

Re: Bow woods in Northern Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 05:03:03 pm »
Your oak, ash, maple and birch trees would pretty much all make reasonable candidates. Most fruit trees also have decent wood, if you have any of those around. You may also have access to hop hornbeam, which is a good option.

Where in northern MN are you at? I have family up there.

SOM

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »
Go for the elm, white oak, and white ash

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
You have a good variety of whitewoods, cut the straightest trees you can with no real preference for species. I will say black ash is a little light and brittle for bows but makes good arrow shafts.
Springfield, MO

Offline Jim Rempp

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:31 pm »
 My choice, if you are a beginner would be the Elm.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:36:56 pm »
Welcome Jim, your work is highly regarded by us on here.

Offline Greebe

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Ok I think I have a few wood to hunt, now for a couple more questions.

1. What size tree do I need for my stave? I have noticed that there are quite a few people these days building from one half of a small sapling vs larger trees split in quarters or eighths.

2. Is there a specific time of year to cut bow wood? Fall or winter when the sap is not running, or spring summer when it is?

3. Should I work it green or let it season a bit? Seems like the best option would be to rough it out green and then let it season for a few weeks and then do the final work. IS that correct?

Thanks again,

Greebe

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:58:18 am »
1. Any size will work...although I prefer 3-6" dia as they are easy to handle,n make great bows.

2. Spring n summer when the sap is up is the best as the bark comes off like a banana peel basically...although any time of year(when saps down) is fine and the bark can still be easily and quickly removed with a duller drawknife...it ain't as murderous as a lot of folks say to remove IMHO...so basically cut it any time its convenient for you and ya have the time to remove the bark

3. Either or will work just fine...just make sure n know the moisture continent of it before bending it too far is all

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:18 pm »
  Like Blackhawk says, get it good and dry.

You can make a bow out of about any diameter tree if the length is there.  For elm saplings, I like at least 2.5", because it will take the crown no problem, and the bow can still be 1.75" wide. 4" is even better, though.  Ash, and hard maple, a little bigger is better: both are harder, stiffer woods, barely less tension strong, and honestly maple might be as strong as elm.  Anything with a really high crown should just be left a tad longer.

The only time I won't harvest white woods is very early spring.  I have had several elm staves, taken right as the snow melts, pop up paper thin slivers, because the porous winter growth ring has a tiny layer of nice shiny, hard looking spring growth over it.  So, this paper thin new ring has nothing substantial under it, and pops.  Now I cut elm from late may to january.  Of course, anything you intend to chase a ring on, that goes out the window.  Anything with big, fat rings, like ash often has, or diffuse porous like elm might be exempt, too.

A white wood branch or sapling should be cut, roughed out an inch thick or less, but left full width, and restrained to dry with hard clamps.  Spring clamps or rubberbands won't do it.  Saplings of all sorts love to warp laterally as they dry, and often twist.  You can even just set it on a 2x4 and nail big nails along the sides, then bend them over.  But you'll need a few.  If you trim them down small enough and peel the bark, then dry them slowly (first couple of weeks) white woods won't check.  Don't lean it behind the woodshed or anything.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »
Don't forget hackberry.  It often ends up being planted by a bird crapping as it flies around a woodlot, often right at the foot of a taller tree.  Hackberry then has to grow fast, straight, and without many branches.  Perfect stuff for making bows.  It's good in both compression and tension.  Give yourself about 1.75 inches at the fade outs, and twice the working limb length as your draw length plus a few extra inches for good measure of safety.  I favor a 62" bow for my 26" draw, so long as I am making a stiff handled bow with 1.5 inch fades on either side of a 4" handle. 

It is also a surprisingly light weight wood, so your bow when finished is an easy carry in the woods. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline GB

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:23 pm »
Awhile back someone posted a buckthorn bow and the bowyer was impressed with the qualities of that wood.  It's an invasive species here in NE Wisconsin.  I've got to call my local DNR to find out about cutting some, 'cuz I'd love to try it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:39:24 pm by GB »
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:10:58 am »
Buckthorn makes a real nice bow, kind of a poior mans yew quite a few examples on the site including BOM
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
also Blue Beach ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...