Author Topic: domestic cow horn  (Read 5929 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
domestic cow horn
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:03:56 am »
I'm looking to start collecting the materials needed to build a horn bow.  I've never made one but im not ready to build yet either. The experience needed for that will come down the road.  I just want to have the materials on hand when im ready.   My question n is probably a stupid one but I'm not afraid of asking stupid questions.  Will domestic cow horn work or is it to thin? Thanks
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Tc

Re: domestic cow horn
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:10:19 am »
There is a short discussion about it on ATARN - read it.
http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2716&sid=ab1ee8fbd68be66e57a9c0b4859b1262
I used hungarian grey cattle horn for horn bows. They are softer and less flexible than water buffalo. I recommend buffalo horn.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:14:38 am by Tc »

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:12:25 pm »
If horn from cold climates is better, how come water buffalo from India and Thailand are so good, Texas gets a lot colder in winter than either of those.

charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:48:56 am »
Different animals. However Water Buffalo from colder climates is still said to produce better horn.
 Remember that the horn used for composites back in the day probably came from Buffalo being bred in the area where the bows were used. Water Buffalo have been in more Northern regions for hundreds if not thousands of years.   
  From Wikipedia:
European buffaloes are all of the river type and considered to be of the same breed named Mediterranean buffalo. In Italy the Mediterranean type was particularly selected and is called Mediterranean Italian breed to distinguish it from other European breeds, which differ genetically. Mediterranean buffalos are also found in Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Kosovo and Republic of Macedonia, and a few hundred in the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Hungary. There has been little exchange of breeding buffaloes among countries, therefore each population has its own phenotypic features and performances. In Bulgaria, they were crossbred with the Indian Murrah breed, and in Romania some were crossbred with Bulgarian Murrah.[12] Populations in Turkey are of the Anatolian buffalo breed.[
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:59:41 am by PatM »