Author Topic: Who shoots in sub-zero temps?  (Read 6836 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Who shoots in sub-zero temps?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »
  Interesting question here, what did NA do in Canada and upper northern US? I would say they shot their bows...Maybe something to consider is building a cold weather bow from a Hickory stave...I do know that my arrow spine is different at 20 degrees vs 98 degrees...
                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:35:19 pm »
  I do know that my arrow spine is different at 20 degrees vs 98 degrees...
                                                                                                          Don

And the bows draw weight would be too, therefore...I can't see a difference... ??? :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »
I've shot my bows @. Minus 44. For a short spell.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:57 pm »
Do you think the Natives of the far North stopped hunting when it was cold or magically pulled out some Osage? I have shot HHB, Maple and Elm at temps that would give Santa a high voice.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »
Do you think the Natives of the far North stopped hunting when it was cold or magically pulled out some Osage? I have shot HHB, Maple and Elm at temps that would give Santa a high voice.
+1, I know the cold doesn't stop me. The first time I shot a wooden bow was in winter last year. I live in WI and last year was cold. I shot all winter with a Rudderbows Hickory ELB and the bow dealt with the weather better than I did :). My handmade cherry bark backed red oak ELB has also held up well in the weather so far this year. Archery season is still open in WI and I will be hunting every chance I get till it closes :)   

Offline jayman448

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »
Archery season is still open in WI and I will be hunting every chance I get till it closes :)
[/quote]
Here any buck with a bow season starts in January... and janary here can drop below -40. wont catch me out there, but im sure others must hunt em at colder temps.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »
Don't mean to high jack the post...but it is related.
What do you guys do different in this extreme weather to shoot your bow ??? as far as clothing, equipment, tabs, gloves etc....??? any tips?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline jayman448

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:50 pm »
hold the bow in yer armpit so you can have your hands in yer pockets, a bag over the fletchings and man up for the one wet or ice cold shot XD

Offline Newindian

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 12:08:59 pm »
Could always use an Inuit bow
I like free stuff.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »
What is an inuit bow?

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 06:57:54 pm »