Author Topic: two or three feather fletchings.???  (Read 12136 times)

Offline kid bow

two or three feather fletchings.???
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
what are the disadvantages of two feather fletchings over 3? which is better?
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: two or three feather fletchings.???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:29:59 am »
2 fletch is better.  Don't listen to anyone that tells you different  >:D  If done well a 2 fletch will shoot every bit as well as a 3 fletch. (<--- the only part of this worth reading)  The advantage is that you're using fewer feathers.  Technically you could make two 2 fletch arrows with two feathers but it would take three feathers to make two 3 fletch arrows.  Most of the time I'm not that efficient with my feather usage so I'm heavily in favor of the two fletch.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:14:38 pm »
1 less feather and they still fly well. No advantage or disadvantage, just different styles. You can add 4 fletch to the mix too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kid bow

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:38:18 pm »
2 fletch is better.  Don't listen to anyone that tells you different  >:D  If done well a 2 fletch will shoot every bit as well as a 3 fletch. (<--- the only part of this worth reading)  The advantage is that you're using fewer feathers.  Technically you could make two 2 fletch arrows with two feathers but it would take three feathers to make two 3 fletch arrows.  Most of the time I'm not that efficient with my feather usage so I'm heavily in favor of the two fletch.
confused the heck outta me hahah
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:19:54 pm »
The most obvious advantage of two-fletched arrow is that you don't have to worry about where the cock feather is when you are shooting.  It's faster to fletch, uses less feathers and shoots just as well.  Not sure that I see a downside.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:53:35 pm »
All the fleching does anyway is add drag to the rear of the arrow and help steer it. I've seen arrows made with pine needle or leaf  fletching that flew just fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Greebe

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »
This is of interest to me as well. I like the idea of a two feather fletch because of the ability to use less feathers and not need a fletching jig.

One question though about two feather fletching. I have seen the Eastern Woodlands style that uses 1-1/4 or so of the feather on each side while there is another version that uses the whole feather on each side. Is one better then the other?

Another thing that seems nice with a two feather fletch is that you might be able to use smaller less stiff feathers like duck. Is this correct?

Thanks
Greebe

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »
I started using two Fletch a year ago. I have not had any issues. Usually I take the shortest turkey feather out of all the feathers on both wings, and cut it in half. That is the length I use for the rest of the feathers. Usually around 4 to 5 inch long over all, and trim back a 1/2'' of quill on each end for sinew wrapping on a river cane. Then burn in a profile with a stick and fire. The upsides have already been said. More arrows per lot of feathers and no worries with a "cock feather". No matter how you put the arrow on the string, the feathers are on top and the bottom of the arrow and ready to be launched. ;D
Of course I am using stone or glass points, so I just line the two cutting edges with the fletching.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:47:47 pm »
This is of interest to me as well. I like the idea of a two feather fletch because of the ability to use less feathers and not need a fletching jig.

One question though about two feather fletching. I have seen the Eastern Woodlands style that uses 1-1/4 or so of the feather on each side while there is another version that uses the whole feather on each side. Is one better then the other?

Another thing that seems nice with a two feather fletch is that you might be able to use smaller less stiff feathers like duck. Is this correct?

Thanks
Greebe
The first way you mentioned will spin more wheras if you leave the whole feather on both sides it won't necessarily spin as fast.  Also depends a lot on the type of feather.

For question 2, yes.  You can use pretty much any type of feather so long as it's big enough.  There's a lot of variations you can use with a two fletch.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Greebe

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 01:30:53 pm »
Cool. It is good to know that there are a lot of workable solutions to fletching.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »
Here is another option with small feathers. I believe it is called a tangential fletch. Any feathers 4" of so long will work so there are a lot more turkey and goose feathers you can use.

The arrow on the left is this type of fletching...

Offline bushguy

• Bush lover, from way back... :)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 08:27:51 am »
Wow! Just found this series of pics Pat and have to say that is very inventive and oh so doable with smaller feathers. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of such neat things, with newb's like me on here Pat. Much appreciated.  8)  bg
The bush keeps me young...

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:24:19 am »
So with a two fletch does is it preferable to line them up to hit the strike plate or shelf/hand as in vertically or horizontally?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 12:23:10 pm »
I believe Pat meant to say the arrow on the right.

Lumber man, you want the feathers mounted vertically, or parallel to your bow.  This way keeps the arrow pass from damaging your fletching.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 03:51:12 pm »
Yes, the arrow on the right is the tangential 3 fletch.  I also learned a few years ago that if you lay the feathers back(convex side) down the feathers lay along the shaft better. This is with 2 fletch(Eastern Woodland style) and 3 fletch(as posted above).