Author Topic: Visit to Bickerstaffe Bows  (Read 15541 times)

Offline adb

Visit to Bickerstaffe Bows
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:57:02 pm »
Hi, All,
Well, during my past summer vacation to Europe in July, Linda (my wife) and I not only visited The Mary Rose Museum and Sherwood Forrest, but I was lucky enough to spend the day in Pip Bickerstaffe's workshop in Kegworth, UK. Mecca... the Promised Land. I got the Grand Tour, had afternoon tea, but best of all, Pip was gracious enough to spend time showing me all sorts of things. Glue-ups, splicing billets, installing horn nocks, tillering, etc., were all on the day's menu. Pip is a very humble and gracious host.

Of course, I had emailed him a few months before to arrange the tour, and because I was coming "all the way from bloody Canada", He was more than happy to show me around. Of course, also, I placed an order for a custom longbow at that time as well, which was waiting for me on arrival.

I was in such awe, and Pip's #1 bowyer, Fred Bentley said, "we're going to have to address you as bleedin' royalty from now on!".

What a great day!! I just couldn't wipe the poop eatin' grin off my face all day. It was not so hot for Linda, but she was treated very well, and remained very patient with me. Pip also gave me an autographed copy of his book on Medieval Warbows.

Here are some pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mazku

Re: Visit to Bickerstaffe Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:01:33 pm »
Sweet!

I would have wanted to be there too!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:19:34 pm »
Sounds like ya had a great time, nice way to spend a vacation.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:12:48 pm »
Pip is a very nice guy. Come to think of it I haven't met a bowyer I wouldn't say that about! He and all his guys are really nice chaps.
You do look like you smiled all day! The cat who got the cream!!!!
What is the strange grey rat thing next to the tillering post?
Mark in England

huntsmanlance

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »
That sounds like a great trip! I am definately envious!!!

So tell us about the bow you got!!!

Lance

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:08 pm »
   Sound's like a great day. A lot of first hand knowledge from one of the Masters
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:09 pm »
Hi,
Yes, Pip was a gracious host. You can tell he really enjoys his work. A ridiculously knowledgable chap. Some little jems of wisdom: "There are no gap filling glues... get your joints tight." "A little bit of string follow is a good thing." "Use fastflight string on all your bows... string stretch is not good." "Tiller your bows by pulling the stave, not the string, that way, you can feel what the bow is doing." Most bowyers in the UK tiller their bows upside down, as compared to us. I'm still undecided on that one.
I'm sure there were a few more, but I can't remember, off the top of my head.

The thing about a Bickerstaffe bow is, if you want one, and live in North America, you almost have to come and pick it up yourself. The postage to ship my bow back to Canada would have been almost as much as the bow itself. It's the length. As a result, Pip doesn't like shipping to NA. There also just is not the same archery culture here, as exists in the UK.

You know what, I did see the "rat" next to the tiller tree. It looked as if it had been there a while, but I neglected to enquire as to it's origin. If you notice the bow on the tiller, it's a hickory backed osage war bow, destined to be >100# when finished. The weight on the scale at 6 o'clock was 100#. I got to give it a few tugs... it was a beast.

The bow I ordered was nothing fancy. 74" NTN, 55# @ 28", hickory backed lemonwood, horn nocks and arrow pass, wrapped grip. A "standard" Bickerstaffe longbow. Still cost $500. The thing was, we started our holiday in the UK for 10 days, but we were gone from home for a month, so I had to tote a 74" hard plastic tube all over Europe for 3 weeks! Sometimes, a real pain in the arse, and many strange looks. "Hey mate, what yah got? A bazooka? Ha, ha!!" Not the kind of comments you need in an airport. I also thought it would never get home in one piece. I was sure the baggage gorillas would wreck it, or lose it, or steal it. Long story short, no one even wanted to look at it, even crossing all the borders we did, even when we arrived home. Fine by me. When it came down the last baggage shoot at home in one piece, I took a long deep sigh of relief.

A definate high-light on the life reel.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:26:30 am by adb3112 »

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:32 am »
    Good for you, Pip is one of the greats of out time. I wass happy to be able to see his shop. Steve

Offline Loki

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34:48 am »
Look's like you had a great time;D
I'm not sure of some of Pip's WarBow theory's but the man certainly know's how to put a bow together ! Interesting that you dont tiller the bow upside down in NA,like you say adb3112 that's how they do it over here.
Durham,England

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:34 am »
Mark, the grey rat-like thing is a fun 3D target.  I have shot at one here in the SE of the UK, at an NFAS shoot.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:05:09 am »
What a fun day.  Pip has been very helpful to me in my quest to learn how to build authentic English longbows.  Great guy.

J. D.