Offline bigfish

antler
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:57:39 pm »
can antler with sinew back make a good bow

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: antler
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »
Which type of antler, and what cut of the antler? Antler is made from a very different material to horn - think teeth (antler) rather than toe-nails (horn).
The main branch of antler is very stiff but interrupted by the tines and other branches, and the thickness of the wall of the antler is variable: as the tines/sub-branches grow out of the main branch the wall thickens locally but if you cut across these branches then there is a hole in the centre where the blood vessels passed through.  If you cut a plate across a palmate section, the same thing happens but although the wall is reasonably thick around the circumference it reduces to almost zero at the centre of the palm.

Having said all this my experience with antler is very limited, with smaller species, not elk/moose, and is as a carver not a bowyer. It seems to me strips of palmate antler are very springy, perhaps too springy, but when antler dries beyond a certain point it becomes extremely brittle and can break without warning. In addition, cutting strips of a decent length and thickness can be a challenge.

I stand to be corrected by someone with more experience but I cannot recommend it as a material suitable for bow-making.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Yes.  I think "IndianGuy" has made at least one.  (Eric Smith)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »
I just searched the forum and Indianguy has reported making several antler/sinew bows using elk, so I guess I stand corrected, although I did point out I only used the small stuff....... :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:46:03 am »
There used to be a series of how to videos on youtube about making an elk antler bow.

Offline bigfish

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »
Yes.  I think "IndianGuy" has made at least one.  (Eric Smith)

Any idea on the length

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:02:41 am »
Here is a quote from InianGuy on one of his elk horn bows (includes length):

Here is a elk horn and sinew only bow I made last year, it is 36" and has a draw length of 20", being drawn 18" in this picture. 6 layers of sinew backing, bow did not turn out exactly how I had planned but this was a first from me with elk horn and very very difficult to straighten out the twists and turns, however in the end I had a shootable bow that is very functional.
I believe the main mistake with this bow was not pushing the handle back toward the belly, it would have helped the bow tremendously. But overall i was pleased with the results.
maybe a little more bend through the mid limbs too.

Eric

The link to the thread is here but I can't see the pictures.

https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24691.0.html
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
Good topic. I've been saving some elk spikes and maybe I'll dig into them as a follow along.
Soak, shape, splice, peer-tiller, back with sinew. Complete tiller.
 Get advice along the way:)

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:59 pm »
Bryce those are much better pieces then I started with on my first antler bow. Please keep us posted. You will learn alot along the way as I did.
E

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »
Bryce those are much better pieces then I started with on my first antler bow. Please keep us posted. You will learn alot along the way as I did.
E

There not as perfect as they look:) but I'm gonna take my research and experience on a good ride with this project. I'll start a new thread.
Clatskanie, Oregon