Author Topic: Cutting string nocks, any tricks?  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
Cutting string nocks, any tricks?
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:00 am »
Started to cut my string nocks last night and not satisfied how they are coming out. Any tips or tricks?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting string nocks, any tricks?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:01:50 am »
I usually mark 3/4" down from the limb end on the back and 1" down on the belly for my temporary string nocks. This usually gives you a 45degree angle slot on the sides of the limb. Once the tillering is complete I clean up the tips, add overlays and do the final shaping of the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:55 am »
Check out Gordon's haselnut build in the archives for a consise detailed method with pics , 
The nocks are several pages in
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:32 am »
I'd say there is a lot of wasted tip width... there's not really any need for gooves on the sides/edges of the bow. The groove can all be on the back of the bow in the overlay.
In the thread about pyramid bows some one said you can't actually taper a limb to a point... nope by you can get surprisingly close.
If you want English longbow style nocks there is a 'how to' on my blog.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:27 am »
PatB - Ugh, that so simple. Much better than what I was doing to get the 45 degree angle. That's what I get for working on it while tired.  ::)

bubby - I'll see if I can find it.

Del the cat - That's a good point.

I think I'm going to taper the ends in more, removing the poor job I did last night. Then just do shallow grooves on the side and deeper on the top in the overlay. Trying to decide between some white oak, cedar and maybe some antler for the tip overlay.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
Everything beyond the string nocks as dead weight so I try to reduce that area as much as possible in the final shaping to eliminate excess physical weight. I do like enough sticking out past the string nocks so I can use a cup type stringer if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »
I like to glue on my overlays pretty early. I don't spend time carving them, but got sick of my string popping off a low brace, or the occasional string splinter.
I only carve into the overlay until the bow is fully braced, then make a pencil line where the string actually sits on the sides. Its not always 45 degrees dead on. Then I carve out a shoulder for the string to sit on and anything past the shoulder is deadweight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »
I do temporary overlays early with extra width for string aliggment. I then rasp 'em off and do the final horn nocks or opverlays when the bow is well on the way to full draw, say 22"
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »
If you use overlays you can just cut them in across the top, plenty deep, and leave the side alone. Check out a few of mine if your inclined to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »
  I wish I knew why you didn't like them.  I'm terrible at this and like to freehand a lot, but it would help if you started with a slightly oversized square tip, and drew on what you wanted them to look like from the front and sides.  Also, when drawing, use a guide, like the bottom of a can if you want some curve or whatever.

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »
I didn't like the ones I started as they were not perfectly even and I also accidentally started one on the wrong side of my mark so I have a little divot cut right below where the actual groove is.  :embarassed:

Shouldn't of worked on it while tired. But narrowing the tips and using an overlay should allow me to remove all those mistakes.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:36 pm »
I would suggest using riff or quarter. Sawed lumber for overlays.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:49 am »
I always use pin nocks. Never had a problem with any of them no matter the weight of the bow. To me they're easier than filing in nocks with a chainsaw file... Easier for me to get precise.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
Pics continued....

Once you get to picture #7, just sand everything smooth and you're good to go.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
I measure down a 1/2", draw a line, 3/4", draw a line and then make a diagonal. I start the groove with a hacksaw and then use a file. These are temporary self-nocks. I leave them wide so I can make adjustments in tracking the string.

If I reach full draw, I'll shape and clean up the nock.

Pretty much done it for a few years this way:

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/osage.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!