Author Topic: Hunting hat what do you use?  (Read 10316 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Hunting hat what do you use?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 01:39:12 am »
     My lucky hat is an old style U. S. Army woodland camo boonie hat.  It usually isn't too cold for that hat around here, but I will go to a skull cap if it is. 

As far as the discussion about deer and their sense of smell, I may have a different view than the television star bowhunters with all of their advertisers...   ::)   I bathe with my normal soap and shampoo. I don't paint myself up with a bunch of animal urine to "mask" my scent.   I don't seal my clothes in a bag or attempt to make any special effort to minimize odors.  I do pay damn close attention to which way the wind is blowing.  To me, that is what really matters.  Maybe I am missing out on something, but I don't think so.  At least twice a week, for the last I don't know how many archery seasons, I have spent a fair amount of time with deer feeding less than twenty yards from me.  I experimented some early on with cover scents and scent free this and that, but I haven't noticed that anything will keep a deer from smelling you and hauling ass when the wind shifts and blows from you to them.  Just my two "scents" -  :D.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:37 am »
Very true Howard ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:02 pm »
And,, the one with the really sharp nose is a Hog. I've had the wind shift while stalking a group of hogs a 150 yards away and watch them take off without looking up. They feed with the wind in their face, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 01:23:02 am »
I agree Eddie.  I think their nose works better than a whitetail.  They are smart too.  Once a sounder busts you, they change their whole pattern on you.  A little pressure will make them nocturnal as hell.  I think spot and stalk hog hunting with a bow is as much fun as a you can have with your pants on. ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
Orange tuque when it's really  cold and the "Shmog" when it's only a little cold.

When it's warm, I wear my long, flowing locks and a ghillie bandana.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 01:08:10 am »
I recently switched to the shemaug.  I love it. I tie it "ninja" style. (i don'tt know if that's a correct term for the way I tie it). I like how it moves with your head, unlike a hood and even a loose balaclava which can cut off your peripheral vision when looking to the side, which is really anoying when drawing a bow.  Had to get used to wearing contacts because the glasses would fog up immediately. 

Offline punch

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »
I recently switched to the shemaug.  I love it. I tie it "ninja" style. (i don'tt know if that's a correct term for the way I tie it). I like how it moves with your head, unlike a hood and even a loose balaclava which can cut off your peripheral vision when looking to the side, which is really anoying when drawing a bow.  Had to get used to wearing contacts because the glasses would fog up immediately.

I tried a shemug but it is way too warm for So Cal even in the winter.  I have ditched the hat and went to a bandana tyied over my head and a bandana tyied bandit style over my face.  It gives you the "ninja" style but since it is two different pieces you can adjust it so it doesn't mess with your peripheral. I also tie a bandana around the neck to keep the sun off.  This combo works pretty good since you can pull down and pull up the bandit part easily.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:41 am »
No problems, with it being too warm up here in Canada. :) I usually wear it over a toque

Offline Tyke

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
Im bald so i just rub some dirt on it
why buy it when you can build it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 12:38:34 am »
I've untied the Shemaug and just let it hang down like a shaul or a girl with long, blond hair, just for shade when it gets super hot in the sun. Do it sitting in a blind, not moving, looking out and watching under the edges. It is cooler.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
Just a cap or a beanie usually, do.t know about all them hunting shows for scent, just unscented soap and i've been putting pineneedles or something from the area in a bag with my clothes longer than they been on t.v., just got to watch the wind cause it's so friggin hot during deer season out here your always sweating copiously
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹