Author Topic: spliced bendy handle?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline dylanholderman

spliced bendy handle?
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »
hey so i like a bendy handle bow simply for aesthetic reasons  O:) but i had a idea for some shorter pieces of osage and possibly compression pine, that if i could splice them together and then have a solid backing of bamboo/hickory/maple then i could still make one with a bendy handle. will this work or am i missing something? 

Offline PatM

Re: spliced bendy handle?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »
People claim success with just unbacked billets in this configuration so you should be OK with a backing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »
I've made plenty of hickory an boo backed bows with the belly spliced at the handle and most of my bows bend to or through the handle. I like to feel a slight bend as I hit full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:10:28 am »
Me too. I've just finished up an elb with a  spliced belly. A v-splice is the best for anything that is going to bend.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »
I've been wondering if a layer of flax/linen just in the handle area would be a help. Maybe 10-12" long. I was thinking of doing the same with sinew but it might stretch to much to be of any use in this situation. I've got a couple of spliced-up staves waiting for me to work up the balls to tiller. :-[ :-[

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »
Keep in mind a bendy handle generally doesn't mean the handle bends the same as the limbs in a complete "c" shape, it just has to give a bit to serve its purpose. And, quality epoxy is much stronger than the wood. If the joint is well made and tight, there is no reason for it to blow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:41:39 pm »
People have made bows up to 160lb bows with spliced handles and no backing that bend full compass through the handle.  7" z-splice is used for those, so you'll be fine.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:08:40 pm »
cool   :D thanks so much everyone this opens up a lot more options for me ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:52 pm »
A good strong handle wrap, like hemp cordage will give you a little more confidence. I found that out by experimentation and experience.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC