Author Topic: Arrow shafts in Missouri and Kansas?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Aaron H

Arrow shafts in Missouri and Kansas?
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:54 pm »
Can anyone tell me what kind of arrow materials I can find that are native to the northern Missouri and northern Kansas area.  I'm looking for some type of cane or phragmites in particular, but I am interested in whatever was commonly used.  Does anyone in these areas grow there own?

Offline Josh B

Re: Arrow shafts in Missouri and Kansas?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »
Your best bet is gonna be shoot shafts.  There's a lot of alternate leaf dogwood thickets around KC and red osier dogwood as well.  Chokecherry is pretty common too.  Although its invasive and not native, there's a considerable amount of amur honeysuckle growing around town that makes decent arrows.  I know of one patch within a few blocks of the WBB gathering place. There are many patches of cane and bamboo growing as landscape screen around town, but I don't know the property owners so haven't asked for permission to cut any.  Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:23:08 pm »
Thanks Josh, I was hoping you would be one to chime in on this topic.

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:07 am »
Falcon, If you are in the KC area, on 50 Highway just outside of Lees Summit, the road ditches are FULL of grey dogwood shoots.  They try to keep them brush hogged, but the dogwood is still really thick.  I live about 40 Miles southeast of KC in Warrensburg.  I have collected alot of dogwood.  I know a few patches of bamboo, but most of it is too brittle to make good arrows. I know one patch of river cane that has been planted near where I live, but I have not investigated it too much.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:42:24 am »
Neal, thank you.  I actually drive out your way a handful of times every year.  My parents live in a small town just outside of Jefferson City, we always drive highway 50 down there.  Thank you very much, I will head out that way soon and see what I can find. I would like to stay away from picking directly alongside the highway,  would I be safe to assume they are growing along the gravel roads as well?