Author Topic: Carved Duckling pike bait ....it's finished  (Read 10440 times)

Offline half eye

Carved Duckling pike bait ....it's finished
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:37 am »
Thought I'd post this carving because it is straight forward and works real good in the early spring for pike, musky and large bass. There is a cigarette lighter (1940,s model) for size comparison.

This is a realistic duckling, right down to the pin feathers.....BUT... is just as effective if finished smooth and roughly painted. Also in this presentation lure I'm using standard type jig hooks but jig heads with "weedless" wires, especially in areas where the water is shallower and has more vegetation.

There is a pic with a block off the saw beside the carved and burned lure, and one with the eyes because I usually use the gold halographic lure eyes (on this one it will get dk brn glass eyes. You can see the way the lead heads and keel weight is added and needs to be covered over and textured to match the top......

Anyway, here it is so if ya have any questions please advise.....by the way the wood in this is white pine.
rich
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:07:18 pm by half eye »

Offline Aaron H

Re: Carved Duckling pike bait (simple small project)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:44:19 am »
Rich your carvings are outstanding

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:03:13 pm »
I wanna see the fishing report for this so bad!  A video of this happening would be awesome.  How clear are the waters you fish?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:19:33 pm »
The water around here is clear enough to clearly see bottom detail in 15-20 feet of water.
rich

Thank you falcon

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »
I'm imagining some underwater footage from below of a pike nailing that thing on the surface :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »
This is impressive. How much success do you have with these lures?

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:49 pm »
Ok, Rich, now you're just showing off!! Keep them coming, but the drool on the keyboard is getting excessive! You are truly an outstanding and talented artist. How about a pike you carve striking the lure in a large setting? I'm sure you would really bring it to life!

FF
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:10:36 pm »
To use a word from my generation, Rich.  That is RAD!
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:10 pm »
My great grandfather told of using ducklings and baby muskrats for bait for large pike and muskies. Them slough sharks are ornery!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:32 pm »
Thanks fellas, yest the lures work very well, mostly at hatching time or so. JW this lure and one that looks like a summer weasel work real well.....I guess pike, musky, and bass will eat anything that fits 8).

I was thinking I should have mentioned this: the only critical elements of this lure are general shape, general color, and the correct attitude sitting on the water......all else is bells and whistles. Everybody knows that mallard ducklings have dark brn eyes and that their feet are bark not yellow......but this does not seem to be of importance to the fish and I see no difference in hits when using the "lure" eyes, or gold,silver, copper spinner blades for the feet......even if it's painted yellow and the dark markings are simply painted as hard lines no diff to the fish.

This lure is weighted so it's sitting correctly, but is also "self righting", and is stable when retrieved quickly......think it will make more sense when ya see the hardware.

Here are the pics of the eyes, and belly cover which I left an untextured part so it can be signed (it's going to a collector). When the epoxy putty cures tomorrow I'll get it painted and the hardware on.
rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 04:46:03 am »
That is to cool, beautiful work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:30 am »
Too cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline neuse

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18:24 am »
That is amazing.
How did you get the texture look?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:04:30 am »
Nice, Rich. That is one sweet looking bait, for sure! Looks tasty!! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:38:53 am »
were do you tie the leader? I hang on to wooden lures i find and have made a few.
Roger
Venice Florida