Author Topic: Red beans and rice  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Red beans and rice
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:56:10 am »
This is a dish my Mom and Grandma used to make. Both were born in Louisiana. It is pretty easy to make and very similar to chili or spaghetti sauce but with a little different flavorings. Served over rice with some good, crusty bread it makes a great cold weather meal.
  I start with some olive oil in a large pot and add chopped onion(one medium), bell pepper(one medium), 4 cloves of garlic, crushed red pepper to taste, shredded carrot, chopped celery (two stalks), a few bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste. Sweat this all down then remove from the pot. Now brown 1# of 80/20 ground beef and a half pound of sausage(or to taste), put veggies back in with the meat, add 2 cans of New Orleans style red beans and a can of black beans(for color contrast) and a can of crushed tomatoes(I used tomatoes I put up earlier this fall) and let it simmer for a few hours.
 Like I mentioned above serve in a bowl over rice with some warm, crusty bread and butter. This stuff is sooooo good it will make you slap your Grandma!    ;D

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Red beans and rice
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »
Put a dab of that on a Cajun's forehead and watch his tongue slap his brains out trying to get to it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:21:21 pm »
Ouuuuuuuuuuuu :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:53:33 pm »
Topped with fresh chopped parsley and a good shaving of parmesan is the way we always ate it. This is one of our comfort foods. Meredith, our daughter is coming in from Houston on Sunday and she'll be happy to see it on hand.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 04:57:59 am »
Man - That looks good ! Thanks Pat. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »
Thank for the recipe Pat. I made some for our Christmas party tonight. I can't stop tasting it to make sure it is just right.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:07:25 am »
Cool, JoJo. Hope you and your guest like it.  8)

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:24:53 am »
That sounds great Pat. I will give it a try today.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »
It was a huge success. I did add a bit of old bay, and a tablespoon of Tabasco. Made a gallon of it and maybe have 2 servings left. fed ten people well, along with 24 fresh baked rolls and Rice. I normally make chili, so it wasn't too far off from the norm, but a great food for a cold winter night!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 05:33:31 pm »
I did not get to try it before Christmas as I thought, Pat. I got it done today though. It is like deluxe chili. Very good. Made my usual cornbread to go with it. It may not make it through tomorrow but me and the wife will be eating good at least another day. I had to stuff the rest of the bunch of celery with pimiento cheese. That is the bonus of this recipe. I could not find anything that said N.O. Red beans. Where do you get yours? I also put in 2 cups of water. I could have got away with even more if I had a lot of folks and needed to stretch it. It would still be good. The blend of the veggies and seasoning suited us just fine. Thanks Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:14 pm »
Chili, spaghetti sauce, red beans like this are all basically the same with a few different additives; peasant food!  ;)
The New Orleans style red beans might be Libby's but I can't remember. It is a common brand.
 I'll eat the last of the batch I made tomorrow for lunch. By now the flavors have melded together pretty well.  I also like it with a big dollop of Daisy(sour cream)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
Wellll, why haven't you cooked it when we're at Chris'? :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 11:59:26 pm »
I'll cook it next time. I promise, Eddie...just remind me.  ;)

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 08:12:27 pm »
Man, I am droolin.

Gonna give that one a try.
Thanks

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.