Author Topic: Getting Good at Gouging Wood - 1st Bow  (Read 6771 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Getting Good at Gouging Wood - 1st Bow
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 11:40:57 pm »
use your drawknife up-side-down the flat side should be on top, you won't dig as much. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:23:30 am »
X2 what Slim said...lots of ways to remove wood.

Personally I like to use a sharp draw knife to about 5/8 - 3/4" thickness and then use a file or shinto.  But as already mentioned, you need to know when to change tools.  A draw knife can ruin a stave almost as fast as a bandsaw - almost!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 01:29:35 am »
use your drawknife up-side-down the flat side should be on top, you won't dig as much. :)

This is pretty much my default these days.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Jazzdad

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 12:55:10 am »
I have used a dknife on the belly. But an important lesson is to know when to switch tools. Jawge

George, it also helps to know HOW to use a tool.  I'm too old to be embarrassed by what I don't know... but I do feel a smidge sheepish for using the shinto that I own the wrong way  :-\.   

The drawknife was my go-to tool because progress was slow with the shinto when I first started working on this bow.  Then, the other day I read the following enlightening words from Stim Wilcox's, The Art of Making Selfbows, "...rasp being held at almost right angle to the wood, with correct direction of cutting stroke at 45 degrees across wood."  ???

That's NOT how I was doing it!  However, today I corrected my errant technique and removed the crap out of some belly wood with my shinto!!! The tear outs are gone and I still have enough wood to salvage what I thought was a lost cause.

Seriously, it was one of the more gratifying days I've had in a long time.
I used to be a golfer, then I discovered archery.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 07:55:47 am »
Tools are a progression, you need to know the limitations of each one and the tricks to getting the best out of it.
Those gouges look like maybe the edge of the blade digging in to me?
Use a draw knife until it stops working for you, then go to maybe a spokeshave, then a rasp, file, scraper and so on.
One trick with a drawknife (and other edged tools) is to pull it towards you at an angle e.g say right hand closer to your belly than the left, this gives a slicing action. Turning the drawknife over or reversing the wood can help too.
BUT there is always a point where the tool becomes ineffective or too coarse ... I pencil a mark R for rasp to mark those points, typically it is where the grain dips sharply or there is a knot.
We've all done it and torn out a big gout of wood where we didn't want to.... you have to recognise the trouble before it happens and use the right tool for the particular bit of wood.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jazzdad

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:59 pm »
Del, that's really helpful!  I will be incorporating both of those tips into my repertoire. 

Thanks!

I used to be a golfer, then I discovered archery.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »
I stop using the drawknife when the bow is twice as thick as I need it.

Faceted tillering helps.  Take off one corner at a shallow angle, take of the other corner, take off the middle in two passes, etc.  You'll also get a feel for when you are cutting into the grain, or against the grain.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »
  On most white woods I switch to a spokeshave when I start getting close and then slightly facet the belly to allow the tool to work easier. By slightly facet I mean almost flat. I keep a rasp handy to deal with tearouts.