Author Topic: Boston butt  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Boston butt
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
On a cold rainy day what it better than the smell of a slow cooked Boston butt wafting through the house. I've only been cooking these Boston butts for a year or so but it sure does smell good while cooking and taste good as pulled pork on a sandwich or just on a plate with some coleslaw and a cold beer.
  I start out with a dry rub. Each time I do this a little different. The dry rub I used today consists of brown sugar, salt, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and I know other stuff but I can remember. Anyway, I coated the butt well with the rub yesterday morning, covered it with saran wrap and placed it in the frig. This morning I took it out of the frig and let it come to room temp(about 2 hours) before putting it in a 300 degree oven, covered with aluminum foil for about 5 hours. The last hour I'll remove the foil to get a nice crusty exterior.   I'll post some more pics later today.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Boston butt
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
I LIKE PORK BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE!

You gotta try that Johnny Harris barbecue sauce on that baby!   :laugh:
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:21:07 pm »
Johnny Harris is good but sauce from the Blue Front in Riviera Beach, Fl.  is tastier. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:35:50 pm »
Johnny Harris is good but sauce from the Blue Front in Riviera Beach, Fl.  is tastier. ;D

Do tell?  I have had the chance to try the Johnny original.  Just ordered a 6 pack of it from their website. 

I swear, if I ever hit it big on the lottery, I would not be buying fancy cars or houses....nah, I'd drive the country visiting one bbq joint after another.  About 2 months into it, I'd have to switch to a UHaul to carry my fat butt around!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:05:19 am »
I grew up eating Johnny Harris BBQ, the BBQ lamb sandwich with French fried asparagus. Yum  I just got a new bottle yesterday from our local grocery store.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:17 am »
Stop teasing, Pat, show us your butt!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:56 am »
OK, OK, here it is just out of the oven...

...and pulled...

I have a bad habit of snacking on the bark while I pull the pork. This was a 3# butt but it didn't have bone in it. I think I like the bone in better.   Also, this time I cooked it dry. Usually I'll  put carrots, onions, celery, apples and peppers in the bottom of the an, rest the butt on that, add a Sierra Nevada  pale ale, cover with aluminum foil and cook. After you pull that you strain the vegs and juices, remove most of the fat and mix it in with the pork for added moisture.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:01:23 am »
Licking the screen.....

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 11:14:27 am »
Man, that looks awsome!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 04:37:12 pm »

Well everyone to his own, but I have never found anything tasty about Blue Front's sauce.  It is just way too mustard tasting.  If I get the chance to make my Cousin's sauce you would toss every jar of blue front you had!  For years he would not divulge the ingredients, but my Brother finally got him to let him watch while he made it.  So my brother wrote down the ingredients.  All my family, and cousins on his side who were privileged enough to receive a few bottles of it cherished it!  His Sister had to hide it from her kids, as they would just put it on plain ol bread, and eat it!  To get some you had to buy him a fifth of Seagrams 7 to bribe him.  By the time he was finished with the sauce, he was sauced!  It makes a big batch, and he would use ketchup, bottles, mason jars, whatever he had at the time, or you supplied.  He would cook it, and then bottle it, and tell you to let it sit for a week, and then after opening it, refrigerate, if any was left.  I have the recipe' packed away at the moment.  So once the weather is clear enough to get through S.D., and Wyoming, and over the mountain passes in Montana, and get everything unpacked, and refinish the railings, and get my shop set up, I will try to make some.  It was pretty hit or miss, when he made it, as he did not measure much, but my Brother wrote down the measurements as best as he could.  I would like to make some, and send some to my cousins.  He made my Brother swear not do give the recipe' to anyone outside the family, and make those in the Family swear to do the same.  He got the recipe' from an old black guy in Riveria Beach, Fl.  It is more a Carolina style, than a St. Louis style(sweet)  I can make a pretty good St. Louis style, and my Friends in Montana went nuts over it.  They like the sweet style sauce.  I like both.  I guess it depends on what you were brought up on.  I was brought up eating both styles, and in betweens.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 04:42:44 pm »
The mustard based sauces are fine with me, as well.  As for your cousin's sauce, sight unseen and untried, I will go out on a limb and say I would be happy to try it. 

Like I said, were I rich man, I'd also be a fat man...so many barbecue shacks, so little time!

Just struck me why Pat's wife stays with him...it ain't the beard, she likes his butt!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »
 ::) ;D ;D

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:40:41 am »
Man - Does that look good !!!!!!!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.