Author Topic: Lye-ing  (Read 9598 times)

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: Lye-ing
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »
I don't mind being called hairy, hippy is a little off base for me but ok, counterculture is fine, but I draw the line at being called a hipster!

I've made soap from scratch with lard from the supermarket and lye. It's really a lot of fun and easier than one would expect. The soap clens great and back when I still shaved, it made an excellent shaving soap. Deer fat soap would be a real treat.

Guy

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:45 pm »

Do like J.W. said, do this outside, and be sure to wear, rubber gloves, and eye protection, as Lye is some nasty stuff. ;)
My Buddy in Montana, had his Mother n Law, make him some soap with anise in it, for getting the fish smell off of his hands, after cleaning fish.  thanks J.W.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »
I was visiting a website for "soapers" and picked up a tip for curing the soap a little faster.  They recommended chopping it fine so that air could get to it better.  Sooo....I dug out the food processor I rarely used.  Ran the whole batch thru the slicer, so I have a small rubbermaid tote full of pure white potato chip looking soap flakes. 

Couple more weeks of final curing, and I will "mill" the soap.  To mill the soap, it is ground, sliced, chopped, or otherwise reduced to small size and a little water is added along with any scents you would use and it gets reheated and melted together.  Once it is all a thick liquid again, you pour it into molds or a block to cool.  If you pour blocks, it can be cut into smaller bars. 

I am thinking of some cedar essential oil for part of the batch and lavendar for the rest.  Some for the fellers and some for the ladies!  And one smaller portion will again go thru the food processor and shaved into tiny flakes for scent/dye free laundering of hunting clothes.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »
Sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to get washed up  >:D Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!