Author Topic: gonna try a boo back erc  (Read 5516 times)

Offline sleek

Re: gonna try a boo back erc
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 04:50:26 pm »
Badger, the boo is 3/4 wide. The stave is 2" wide about...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »
  Well, that certainly makes a difference, I wouldn't use a 3/4" back on a 2"board though.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:13 pm »
Its actually a limb stave, pics will help I know, but how wide would you go on the belly for a 3/4 wide boo strip? I would like to know basically, what dimensions to build to. I feel like a new guy here and I reckon my questions are showing that.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »
90 degree prop twist is my biggest problem. Its 1 3/4 wide btw.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »
Even if I was backing it with boo I'd leave it wider then 3/4". And like Steve said it is pretty short for that width. You might be able to get away with it if it was backed with sinew. I've made several unbacked cedar bows but they were 1 3/4" wide at the fades, at least. And the more sapwood the better.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 11:22:25 pm »
Hmmm well I guess this will get tossed to the side for a while. I thought you could glue the boo on the heartwood and not need sapwood? So, leave the stave wide as I can and put the narrow boo on the back. I think they can keep it 1 1/5 after clean up out the fades, then narrow down. I will do a bendy handle... eventually.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 11:29:44 pm »
I was talking about leaving the sapwood if you make a self bow. The bow that Brian sent me is just a cedar bow from a board, all heartwood and bamboo backed. But it is wider then 3/4". I've seen some excellent self bows that is almost all sapwood. They were very fast.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »
Well Eddie, my plan was to use the narrow boo strip on the back and leave the belly wide, making a trapped back.

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 12:55:57 am »
  I have made several self bows from cedar, I would go tat way if I were you. At the short length you need all the width you can get. With the prop twist issue thrown in and the short length I hnestly would toss it in the woodpile and find sometning else to work on. It might be fun to play with but I wouldn't fall in love with it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 01:51:07 am »
Duly noted.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 09:20:04 am »

I think it should be heavy trapped to not overpower the erc. If it is a straight stick (no recurves) I would glue in a good amount of Perry reflex

If ERC has to be backed and needs to be heavily trapped for a boo backing why it considered such a good bow wood? What redeeming attributes does it have?

Its pretty I guess???

I don't think ERC is good bow wood at all, but it will hold together for a while if you do things just right. Being a juniper, you have a shot from the start. But it doesn't hold a candle to any yew from anywhere. Hopefully I get some mountain grown juniper this year and can have one more to compare it to. I have heard ERC branches excel compared to trunk wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.