Author Topic: two problems  (Read 4360 times)

Offline aaron

Re: two problems
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »
If you back it, you could shorten it and still be safe.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »
Just follow the grain around that knot and u can narrow it quite a bit, most of the na bows were 3/4" wide at the tips,
And you can still get that handle to bend some even narrowed like that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 09:32:57 pm »
What draw length are you trying for
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nflbowhunter

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 09:39:02 pm »
Yeah I have roughed out a handle and I don't have the sinew or rawhide to back it and im shooting for a 26  inch draw could I narrow it down then add deer antler overlays

Offline aaron

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »
how wide would the nock be if you narrowed it to remove the entire knot? If you have 1/2 inch, great. If you have 3/8 still prob OK. if it's only 1/4 , yeah ... maybe. I have done 1/4 inch nocks with harder woods, but with ERC, i would be scared. With these real narrow nocks, you'd hae to do a "back nock" like this: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49428.msg675004.html#msg675004
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline nflbowhunter

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:52 pm »
it would be if i tried to avoid it about 1/4

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 10:11:28 pm »
The knot is fine. Let it swirl as it presently is. Make it the bottom limb so there will be no problem stringing the bow. That's what I've done.

I can't tell if the nick is deep enough to have gone through a ring. Doesn't seem so. Do some light sanding to ee if it goes away.
Cedar is a pretty marginal wood when unbacked.

You may want to back it with linen, burlap or silk...probably linen. Rawhide is also an option. Stop the backing at the bottom of the knot.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 10:31:01 am »
Just follow the grain around that knot and u can narrow it quite a bit, most of the na bows were 3/4" wide at the tips,

I'm with Bubby, and George T.   ERC is a very lightweight wood, so a little extra wood at the tip isn't going to kill you.  Draw lines to where you would narrow the tips, if the knot wasn't there.  Then, measure how wide the knot is, and add that much width total in a circle around the knot, and blend the circle lines into the straight lines.

ERC is wonderful stuff, but junipers have a reputation for being a litle tension weak on the back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 10:49:10 am »
I wouldn't worry about the knot at the tip. Do as George and bubby suggested and just work around it. The gash in the back doesn't look too deep. I'd sand it down smooth and rawhide back the bow. You can trade for rawhide on the Trading Post or use silk or linen for a backing. The knot above the handle should be no problem at all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:29 pm »
I doubt you will get 55#. Personally I would go, 1 1/2 -2" out of the Fades and taper it down to the tips trying to keep it wide most of the way if it is unbacked. Especially with the other challenges.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?