Author Topic: green ash / white wood question?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline bushboy

green ash / white wood question?
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:47:04 pm »
Hey all,happy holidays! I have a 6" @. The butt x 80" long green ash that I cut late last. Summer.the ring count is crazy like 30 plus/per ".the bark is stuck fast,i try a dull drawknife as a try out with not much success. Question is can I rough it out as a bow blank,let season for sometime and go about it as normal hoping that the bark will release juring tillering without damaging the back?thx's Rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

Re: green ash / white wood question?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:37 pm »
It will if you get it really dry and shave most of the outer stuff off. The sap will also oxidise and turn a nice shade which will  sort of stain the outer layer and leave an interesting camo effect if you lightly sand it.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: green ash / white wood question?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
Did you try thumping it? I have a few rounded branch lengths that I use to thump on the bark of fresh cut wood to loosen the bark. comes off easily with my fingers after going up and down it a few times, thumping rigorusly. I did this on a dry stave with some success, was not ash though
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!