Author Topic: How do you remove/ attach your foreshafts  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Newindian

How do you remove/ attach your foreshafts
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »
I've been making my first couple of foreshafts.my goal has been to shoot a primitive arrow with a stone head and be able to switch to a feild point for practice. but now that I've gotten my method down I'm not sure that my foreshafts will be "removable" the way it is right now when I drop my arrow from about two feet up it takes a pair of pliers to get it out. It certainly won't want to come out after being shot. I'm also wondering how y'all set your foreshaft into the main shaft when there is a broad head on the foreshaft, do you simply push it as much as you can?
I like free stuff.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: How do you remove/ attach your foreshafts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:11 pm »
The way I get around that is NOT to use my stone-pointed arrows for practice.  I make identical arrows (same spine, shaft weight, tip weight) that have steel or bone points for practice.

Hot melt glue-on type points are the easiest to interchange.  I haven't tried it but if you make a foreshaft with a socket identical to your field points, that should work.  Make sure to wrap the socket end of the foreshaft with strong thread and epoxy (or other strong glue) so the wood won't split.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline punch

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:37:20 pm »
Long foreshafts and less tight fitting is one option but makes for some really long arrows.  I agree with jackcrafty it is easier to just make a set of matched arrows for target shooting/field points.  I like the foreshaft idea because it gives you a lot of options/arrow when you are out hunting/stumping.  But thr problem I have is that I use a long draw about 31" then you add a 7" foreshaft and a 2" broadhead and that puts my arrows at 40" long.  At that length they are a trouble to carry in my quivers.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:42:36 pm »
Hey NewIndian,
Like those guys said it is easier to make an extra set, after target/stump shooting some of my shafts wont come out at all. I was hoping to be able the change them out as well. But if you really want them to stay, I usually set my foreshafts in with a little saliva, it makes the inside of the shaft swell up and lock it in place. Did I not show you the couple of sets I had at the gtg?
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:21:13 pm »
Superglue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 01:30:05 am »
Thanks guys
Thunder you showed me your set but we didn't discus how you did your forshafts
I like free stuff.