Author Topic: reed a arrow shafts?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
reed a arrow shafts?
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:01 am »
I was wondering if you all could help.  I've made some bows and some arrows to shoot them in  but they are crude and heavy.   I would like to make them better for hunting and I want to use the materials that I have here in southern Oklahoma.  We have lots of cane and cedar.   One other thing we have in abundance is reed.  I've about reed arrows but they always seemed to brittle to me but will they work and when is the best time to harvest?   Thanks Timothy
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: reed a arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:38:04 am »
Timothy, do you know what kind of cane or reed you have there. Do a little research and find out. Your local farm agent or Cooperative Extension Service can help you with that. Then research what shafting the local Native Americans used and the method they used to build arrows.
 Our "How To" section has lots of info about building arrows from local materials.  Patrick(Jackcrafty) has a few excellent How To's on Native arrows with excellent instructions and explanations.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

Re: reed a arrow shafts?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »
The invasive Eurasian reed is considerably stronger. You may be surprised how strong it can be if it is cut just before first frost and dried while it is still a bit green in color.
 I cut a bunch this year and am really surprised how  it is turning out.