Author Topic: don't have the right tip size, what to do?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Loope

don't have the right tip size, what to do?
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:19 pm »
A little goof... I am making presents this year, have the arrows almost done, and just hit a problem.  I just started cutting tapers for the points and realized I don't have the right size points.

I have 9/32 wooden shafts and just realized that the points I have are 1/4".  I have looked around and can't find 9/32 points, and may look some more tomorrow, but what would you guys do?  Do you think it is okay to just glue on the 1/4 as is, or should I try to find 5/16 points, or maybe try to taper the first few inches of the shaft to blend it down to 1/4?

Thanks,

Michael

Offline occupant

Re: don't have the right tip size, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:55 pm »
How about shouldering the shafts so that the outside of the tips are flush with the shafts?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:54:39 pm »
I have some 23/64 shafts and had to use 11/32 tips. Just do as you said, taper the last couple inches so they fit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:13:57 am »
5/16 will work fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Loope

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »
I decided late last night to taper the shafts and use the 1/4 tips.  I cut the taper for the tips, then fit the tips without glue and made a pencil mark around the back of the tip.  Then I made another mark around the shaft about 5 inches from the end.  I used a block plane to taper them down almost to the pencil marks, then finished it off with sandpaper.  I was able to get the stain on last night.  They look pretty good at this point but still need to be sealed and glue on the tips.  I am cutting it close, but it looks like I will be finishing Christmas presents on Christmas eve!

Thanks guys,

Michael

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:02:32 pm »
without pics it didn't happen ...  ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Loope

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:12:52 am »
All right, here are some pics!  The taper is barely noticeable.  On the first couple arrows, I had the plane blade set too deep and it tore out some slivers that are slightly visible.  So I resent the blade to only cut a wisp of wood, and it worked great.  I wish I had taken some pictures of the process to show a step-by-step, but didn't think about that until I was finished.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:59:18 am »
Nice 'n' clean!  I too have a bunch of shafts that are too big for their britches ... I mean points.  So will likely be trying your approach.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857