Author Topic: Great system for testing wood  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Badger

Great system for testing wood
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:27:50 pm »
 Digital Image Correlation: GOM      http://www.gom.com/metrology-systems/digital-image-correlation.html       For anyone interested check out this link. It is a dream come true for anyone that really wanted to analyze what the wood is doing in a bow.   For some reason I can't get the hyper link to work? If anyone knows how to put in a hyper link I can e mail the link.

P.S. You were just missing the l in the html at the end of the link Steve
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:54:51 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Great system for testing wood
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:01:20 pm »
Steve
As an aside, I've had a few communications with a retired engineer by the name of Richard Baugh from out your way.  He convinced a university grad student to perform stress tests on heat-treated wood to see what the benefits were in relation to bow building.  He sent me the report a few weeks ago, very interesting.  Let me know if you would be interested in reading it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 02:13:05 am »
  I certainly wood Mark, I have been in close touch with Richard lately. heat treating is one of the big things I am really interested in. I am building a box to experiment with slow heat treating over several hours. I was advised about 280 will be my optimum temp by a gentleman who works in the wood industry and does wood curing for other reasons. I wanted to cure without scorching.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 02:15:37 am »
  I have another gentleman who works in a test laboratory where he can paint the wood with a special paint and then use some kind of special photography to show things like strain and location of nuetral planes. He offered to have one of his students run some tests on a bow next year.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:06:54 pm »
Marc, would it be possible for thatarticle to be posted up online for us all to see?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
  Dick publishes a lot of his work and is very good about applying credits to those he works with on these studies. Mark may have to check with Dick before making it public. It is 11 pages long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:15:50 am »
It is a lengthy document.  I will check with Dick to see if he minds if I upload a copy to my site
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:29:53 pm »
  Badger, are you talking about heat treating a wood and then backing it?  I have been considering asking my friend if I can send a few slats through his pizza oven.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »
  Yes heat treating only the belly strips. My posts keep disappearing. This is the third time I have replied now.