Author Topic: tiller fatigue fresh eyes please ( completed )  (Read 11667 times)

Offline sleek

tiller fatigue fresh eyes please ( completed )
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:08:06 pm »

One tip wants to pull out the recurve on me and the other ( lower ) limb had a bad twist aout the fade and then corrected mid ways up the limb making the limb hard to tiller. When the limb does that it maked it harder to bend but im not sure how stresses are being applied.

Do I make it the same width and thickness as the upper limb and ignore the twist, ignoring the fact that it looks to bend less, or take more off to make the bend even bit stress the limb more? Right now its stiffer and the bottom limb as a result. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:51:05 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: tiller fatigue fresh eyes please
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
yes make it the same ,, and ignore the twist,, just as long as they are bending even at full draw, ,, if the bottom limb is a little stiffer that is ok,, it is looking pretty good,,, do you have an unbraced photo,,, that would help,

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:14:57 pm »
Sleek, that tiller from this side looks pretty doggone good to me.  A limb with a twist in it is always a challenge since it can look a lot different viewed from the other side.  I would shoot it some and see how it feels.  I don't worry so much about limb thickness and width matching up perfectly in the upper and lower limbs near as much as making sure they are bending equally.  If you have an even bend and it feels good in the hand - call it done.  There is my two cents.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:09 pm »
Should post an unbraced and braced photo.
what is your target weight and draw length, and where are you at now?
If it's a straight limb bow with flipped tips, I'd say you should give your upper limb a few scrapes, but not in your fade area.
I've found slight twist to not affect how the bow shoots. I leave weird areas slightly stiff, but sooner or later you gotta get those areas in the mix

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:42:27 pm »
You should shoot some arrows and see how it feels, it may be fine

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 10:45:47 pm »
that bottom limb does look a little stiff about that last end of the inner third. I don't usually reply with tiller help but I think thats what I'm seeing. the top limb looks maaavaleous.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:06:47 pm »
I say it looks good. I had to look again after Danny's comment about the bottom limb. I thought it would take too much scraping before you had a hinge mid limb if you messed with it anymore. It is the strong/shorter limb and will have to take a little more abuse to the wood cells.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:13:47 am »
  Looking pretty good to me.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 03:33:18 am »
Lower looks stiff out of the fades and the upper is stiff from fade out towards the tip.
Really need to see it unbraced before bending and a front view to tell for sure.
Do you trace the outline of the staves back before bending? I strongly recommend it as it answers the question you have just asked. Once you have a definite unbraced and more importantly unstressed/bent profile traced onto a piece of paper/tillering board/whatever then every time you remove wood and exercise it you immediately unstring it and hold it up to your original line - bingo! The stave tells you what the tiller is like.
I have used this method for years now and the beauty of it is it never lies and you never get it wrong. Just watch for the set...even just a 1/16th

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
Looks good to me too,  but as said above, the unstrung shape and better, the unstrung shape before any tillering is needed to know if the stress is even along the limb.

The only bow that ought to look perfect at full draw is one that was straight or had an even curve before tillering began.

What's more, Since you have it at full draw, any tillering you do is going to reduce weight.

As someone said, I'd shoot it and see how it behaves. It would have to be a bruiser for hand-shock or just too heavy before I  would do anything else to that bow. It looks like a shooter.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:22:57 am »
   I tend to agree with you Jim, once you get it out to full draw you are pretty much done.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:58 am »
  I see the bottom limb bending just a bit less about where the top limb is bending the most, but it isn't off by much.  If it hasn't taken much set, and you like the draw weight, maybe shoot it a bit and keep your eye on it.  If the difference becomes more pronounced after 20 shots, I'd correct it for sure, but if not......

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

Its at 55#@28

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »
The right limb is the lower in the last pic, left limb in the upper. You can see the twist it has there.  Its taken maybe an inch of set so far. Still holding an inch of reflex. If I loose to much weight fixing the tiller I will just shorten it an inch and reflex the tips a bit more to bring the weight back up.

Looking at it flat on a table neither limb seems to have more set than the other. Perhaphs I can stress this desing more... both are pretty flat minus the twist the lower limb has.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:44:44 pm by sleek »