Author Topic: Frickin' vine maple  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Gordon

Frickin' vine maple
« on: December 27, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »
I have a love/hate relationship with this wood. Today I had the most difficult time ever bringing a stick of vine maple to heal. I somehow managed to eek a bow out of it, but what a pain. If I had any sense at all I would just make bows out of yew and osage. Frickin' vine maple...
Gordon

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Frickin' vine maple
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:42:14 pm »
Thats probabely why your bows are so frickin gorgeous Gordon. You have had plenty of practice on less than easy staves so you'v honed your skills. Me, I'm a wuss most of the time and pick the best stave possible. Can't wait to see the pics.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:57:41 pm »
I feel the same way, I want to love it, but I just dont. The swirly grain stuff hates any kind of tool except sand paper. I cut some hawthorn the other day. Ive hear its similar, but works a little better. Woulnt be surprised if im quoting your words there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:02:36 pm »
LOL. I have just the opposite experience with the wood in your area. I have a $200 Yew stave I hinged in my shop and I don't know how many Yew bows I have made that came in under weight trying to treat them like Osage. I have made some killer' bows out of Vine Maple, though, have a Take-Down in the works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:06:23 pm »
Dont get me wrong, it makes great bows. Its the most abundant and accessible wood in my area.
Those grain swirls though...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:15:34 pm »
I get my VM from Brian Melton and it has never failed me yet. It is my main, preferred White wood, and if it's not yellow I usually cook with it. :D ;) It does seem to hang with the humidity fluctuations in Florida better then other whitewoods.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »
Wow Gordon, what's the problem? Too reflexed?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:58:21 am »

Yeah, 7" of reflex, unstable limbs that refused to remember string alignment corrections, a dogleg that bent too much even though I left plenty of wood, reflex and deflex in all the wrong places. And that was just the beginning of my problems. Why do I torture myself with this stuff...
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 02:31:00 am »
These days I seem to enjoy working the character staves. Why? The challenge?
Interesting question.
I am glad you got a bow out of your vine maple.
I split out  a hickory stave. I took the worst part of the split-dog led, drying cracks, one limb reflexed, etc.
I just finished it. Lucky. I almost retired it as a tomato stake for several reasons but I got a bow out of it and a good shooter at that.
I hear ya on the vine maple, Gordon.
Congratulations!
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:51:51 am »
I don't know vinemaple Gordon but I know what your saying about the difficult staves, they test your sanity for sure. After hours of labor trying to wrestle a bow out of one of while looking over at the pile of better wood in the shop you do start to feel a little crazy. ;D 
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »
It must be a heck of a gnarly stave to try the skills and patience of such a supreme bowyer as you, Gordon.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:03 pm »

Yeah, 7" of reflex, unstable limbs that refused to remember string alignment corrections, a dogleg that bent too much even though I left plenty of wood, reflex and deflex in all the wrong places. And that was just the beginning of my problems. Why do I torture myself with this stuff...

Funny that sounds like MY most available wood: elm and canyon maple saplings.   Twists, waves, tries to dry into  way too much reflex or into a big C laterally,  starts straight, but dries with knees and doglegs.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »
It must be a heck of a gnarly stave to try the skills and patience of such a supreme bowyer as you, Gordon.

Actually it wasn't that gnarly of a stave. Radically different limb profiles, excessive reflex, and vine maple's tendency to fight you at every turn (when highly stressed) turned what I thought was going to be a fairly routine effort into a major undertaking. I got it done, but not before I thought of turning the whole affair into a pile of tipi wood several times during the ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a challenge but every now and then you need a piece of wood to smack you around some and remind you that you're not the boss.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 12:41:52 pm »
Twists, waves, tries to dry into  way too much reflex or into a big C laterally,  starts straight, but dries with knees and doglegs.

Yep, that describes vine maple to a T.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »
Here is what the bow looks like AFTER tillering. Still holding almost 4" of reflex!

Gordon