Author Topic: wireless dog fence  (Read 6751 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

wireless dog fence
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »
I know many of you are dog owners, so I hope you can help me out with some of your hard earned knowledge.  My family recently got a dog - and since I never had had one before, I feel a little over my head  (my kids were easier to deal with, I think) - anyway we got a 10 month old yellow lab mutt from the pound -  and want to set up a wireless fence so the dog can run off the leash.  Do any of you have such a fence?  Do they work?  Reliable?  Best brand or other advice you think I need? 

Russ 

Offline bubby

Re: wireless dog fence
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »
I cant help you with make or model but i did build a pool for a Dr and his wife and they had one and it did work, you can also use a training collar ,, i know labs are a little hard headed but they are great dogs and if you are going to be out when he is get a collar, start low on the settings and just go up till it gets his attention, after awhile all u need to do is put the collar on, they are smart and figure it out fast
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »
X2 on what bub said. I have a hard headed german shepherd and her obedience increased 10 fold once i bought a e-collar. Buy a good one and learn how to properly use it. She knows when the collor is on i mean business. Just remember if you don't catch them and can't correct them instantly you are to late. A e-collar allows you correct them across the yard. Chasing them around the yard is the worst thing you could do, they think its a game. Plus you never are able to catch them!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »
My sister had an underground fence for their saint bernard.  It worked and kept it her in the yard.  They only had one problem with it.  Whenever there was a lightening storm the dog would get scared and run to the neighbors house for some reason.  That was the only time she would cross the fence.  When they installed it they put little flags along side it.  That was a visible clue to the dog that when they got close to the flags it would shock them.  After a while they took the flags down and the dog new where the boundary was.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:31:55 am »
We have one that is a petsmart with a 90 ft radius from the transmitter. The collars have a three month battery . It keeps dogs near that weren't use to it so in my opinion it works for what we wanted. Ozzy has one as well and that's where we saw how well it worked for his dog.

Forgot to mention that you need to test the different levels of correction on yourself first so you know what kind of shock is involved, unless you got a pacemaker.  ;D  I stopped at level three >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
Thanks for the info.  The new model pet smart is the one I was looking at.  It has 105 foot radius and rechargeable batteries.   I'm glad to hear they really work and not just some sales pitch. 

I absolutely will test on myself.   Would never do to him what won't be done to me, although I think I will take the shock in my hand, not the throat.   

Offline Marks

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:04:30 am »
You can really test your trust in a person by giving them the remote while you hold the collar. lol.

Offline Loope

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:11:50 am »
We never put in the invisible fencing because around here, a lot of dogs are allowed to run free.  The fence doesn't work on neighbor's dogs to keep them out, and we were concerned about some of the larger dogs hurting ours.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »
I found low power bb guns to be great anti dog motivators.  Just be sure to hide so the other dogs you dont want in your yard dont see you. Otherwise they will know its you shooting them and not the yard biting them, and come around when you not there.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »
You can really test your trust in a person by giving them the remote while you hold the collar. lol.

I bet! 

The fence I am dealing with has no remote - - it is just always on out to a certain diameter range. 

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »
Be sure to check the dogs coat for thickness as the hair will block the collar from working right. We has a lab/akita mix and she had a thick coat. Also follow the training manual to a T or it will not work. I only trained my dog for a week because she seemed to learn fast but she was just playing me. What she learned was that if she just ran about 5 ft passed the shock zone it would stop shocking her. This was about 10 yrs ago and they maybe better now. Good luck.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »
Be sure to check the dogs coat for thickness as the hair will block the collar from working right. We has a lab/akita mix and she had a thick coat. Also follow the training manual to a T or it will not work. I only trained my dog for a week because she seemed to learn fast but she was just playing me. What she learned was that if she just ran about 5 ft passed the shock zone it would stop shocking her. This was about 10 yrs ago and they maybe better now. Good luck.

Yeah I wanted one but I worried about my dogs running past it and not being able to come back in.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 03:08:44 pm »
As I understand it, the shock only lasts for 10 seconds, if the dog runs thru it.  It does not reset till brought back into the zone, so there is no fear the dog cant come back wo a shock. 

I guess some testing is in order.

Russ 

Offline RyanR

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »
The wireless is the way to go. The systems with the under ground wire only shock momentarily as the dog crosses the wire. The wireless will zap them when they leave the perimeter. Also, if you get one make sure to follow the training instructions. Your dog has to understand what is causing it to be shocked. As with training a dog to do anything they must understand what you want before you correct them for disobeying. Remember, it is a correction not punishment. Hope this helps.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:36 pm »
It's fun with drunk friends, too. ;D I watched some dumb a-- at a party one night dare each other by putting the collar on their neck and trying to run across the barrier. They were drunk! None of them learned by watching their buddies falling to the ground like someone hit them with a Bat in the throat. They all had to try it.Dogs learn quick, especially smart ones, like Labs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?