Author Topic: My 2015 bow  (Read 46302 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: My 2015 bow
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »
  It would work out to be about 75% efficiency at 202 fps which is not unreasonable, about what I would expect. I think it is a good reading but I don't want to claim it as fact yet. I took the reading outside in morning light.
Thats awesome. Only reason i asked is because i have had mixed results using a chrony indoors
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 03:32:04 pm »
I thought about similar model years ago and even make shape wit steam but never tiller, I call this bow "hat bow". If this bow connect very good energy storage and good energy transfer it could be holly Graal in traditional archery. Respect.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »
Id love a profile view Badger if/when you get a chance. Also whats string type and strand count are you using?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
  Sleek, the string I am using would not be legal or flight shooting because for my everyday primitive strings I add a few strands of fast flight just for convenience sake so they don't break as linen often does. The weight of the string however would be the same as an official string and performance likely would not change. The string just lasts longer.

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »
Why couldnt you just decrown a stave Badger instead of having to find a low crowned one?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »
   I don't like decrowned osage and thats about the only wood I would use for this design.

Offline avcase

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:59 am »
Wow Steve!  I believe you have a great year ahead!

Alan

Offline bushboy

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
Awesome design indeed!mr badger you lend a. Great bit of. No how. On pa! Thx's rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:37 am »
That some nice work Steve. Just looks like it's got to be fast. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:48 am »
Have you confirmed your fps?

blackhawk

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 12:26:09 pm »
Sweet....that's right up my alley. Those types aren't easy for anyone to make,you or me,or anyone else. There always a booger to line up,and I'd make more if they weren't such a pain sometimes. Looks like its time to narrow your outers and put some string bridges on to keep the string on and lose some mass in your outers? I know thats a smooth drawing rig there.

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 12:47:14 pm »
  Falcon, I am going to build a slightly heavier version and concentrate on that. I am going to set this one aside for flite shooting. I have destroyed more good flight bows testing them than I like to think about. It is kind of a jinx. Whether or not it actually did hit 200 is not so important because I feel like the math and the physics behind it easily allow for a 200 fps shot. This means I can build another one a little bit better and more refined.

Besides that if I did hit it where would I go from there? It would be like jumping off a cliff. I have been chasing it for so many years I feel like it would be the end of something if I finally caught it. The thought of raising the bar to 210 is amost terrifying my stubborness and inability to let go of something borders on being self destructive! LOL. I am just going to settle for I think I may have hit it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:38 pm »
  Blackhawk, interesting comments almost worthy of a chapter initself. Because of a minor change in design I will go into a lot of the problems with long highly reflexed curves just goes away. Anybody could easily build it. No need to narrow the tips either. A simple design variation makes the bow a lot more tolerant of outer tip mass.

I am going to start a seperate thread on outer tip mass you may want to jump into.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:26 pm »
V impressive, I still have to break the 200fps with any bow or arrow weight (I think! As I never chrono'd the 100# Elm warbow with a flight arrow, as I was scared of shooting the chrono :o)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 05:28:24 pm »
V impressive, I still have to break the 200fps with any bow or arrow weight (I think! As I never chrono'd the 100# Elm warbow with a flight arrow, as I was scared of shooting the chrono :o)
Del

I think Steve has done that
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com