Author Topic: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?  (Read 71123 times)

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:47 am »
Reading the topic flight warbow I found it again very delicious to see all the rules and regulations clearly. When, where and why is a record a record? Many of the regulations seem not to be up to date.
Steve Gardner and me have discussed the foundation of the " INTERNATIONAL PRIMITIVE FLIGHT BOW CLUB". This term was Steve's idea, I like it, even it sounds a bit old fashioned.
I would propose the rules to be very clear and simple as follows:

Selfbow up to 50lbs        ( made of one piece of wood or limbs made of wood only and handle added)
Selfbow 50lbs plus         ( made of one piece of wood or limbs made of wood only and handle added))   

Composite up to 50lbs  (limbs made of natural materials as wood, bamboo, horn, sinew or other natural materials and handle added)
Composite 50lbs plus   ( limbs made of natural materials as wood, bamboo, horn, sinew or other natural materials and handle added)

I would propose to regulate the handles for the classes above too, cause handles of flightbows are often a controversial subject.?

Experimental class        (natural materials, no limits)

Strings                             (natural fibres only)

Arrows                            (wood, bamboo, natural fletches, tips of wood, bone, antler, metal).

I would like to set up the club's internet- performance. The site would tell about the history of flight- archery, the backgrounds, tournaments.
The site would include an area for to post new flightbows and flightarrows and to discuss them.

This post is thought to be a crude framework for the site.

Any ideas are very welcome!!!! Rules regulating the tournaments??

Michael

..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline willie

Re: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:46:57 pm »
michael-

flight shooting seems interesting, but the travel involved to attend shoots probably dissuades a lot of guys from building the bows / arrows or work on the shooting skills.

Is there a plan for  "postal"  participation?
perhaps it is time to use the internet to replace the post office somehow

willie

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
Willie, I would love to do that. Have a group of shooters go out and shoot the bows and arrows sent in. Credit would go to Builders of bows, arrows and archers respectively.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:54:40 pm »
  Michael, lets get on it. Why don't you and I and maybe a couple of others get together and start writing some official rules. Include the english long bows of course. Maybe even have a limit on elevation and wind speed. Lets recruit a few guys from the different classes involved and hash it out before the end of the month.

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:58:52 pm »
For me flightbow federation sounds better. It must be done, go ahead !

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:21:41 pm »
Badger-

I was thinking more of posting on the internet, the results of local shooting, rather than shipping bows around the world for others to shoot.

Does modern technology and connectivity offer new possibilities to document local shooting?
video? gps?
willie

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »
  For weight classes I would like to see a 35#, 50#, 65#, 80# and unlimited #.

For classes I would like to see a simple self or laminated with the only limitation on handles in the shelf area at about 2".

Styles contact recurves, r/d longbows, straight style long bows. and an open class where anything goes. Limit the reflex on straight style bows to 1".

English longbows ( have the elb guys write the rules here)

War bows, ( war bow guys write the rules)

Broadhead shooting, no weight classes just shoot at 9 or 10 grains per pound. Or maybe up to 60#, 90# and unlimited but still shooting 10 grains per pound.

Write a strict easy to understand protocal for measuring and weighing bows, measuring distances, controlling the flight line etc.

Write a protocal to qualify and establish officials that could put on flight shoots anywhere in the world.

Just suggestions on my part, everything is open to discussion.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »
  For weight classes I would like to see a 35#, 50#, 65#, 80# and unlimited #.

For classes I would like to see a simple self or laminated with the only limitation on handles in the shelf area at about 2".

Styles contact recurves, r/d longbows, straight style long bows. and an open class where anything goes. Limit the reflex on straight style bows to 1".

English longbows ( have the elb guys write the rules here)

War bows, ( war bow guys write the rules)

Broadhead shooting, no weight classes just shoot at 9 or 10 grains per pound. Or maybe up to 60#, 90# and unlimited but still shooting 10 grains per pound.

Write a strict easy to understand protocal for measuring and weighing bows, measuring distances, controlling the flight line etc.

Write a protocal to qualify and establish officials that could put on flight shoots anywhere in the world.

Just suggestions on my part, everything is open to discussion.

Willie, if we set up some basic standards to adhere to shoots could be held anywhere and greatly reduce the need to ship. We would have to have at least 2 officials at every shoot to give the organization some integrity, and it would be best if they weren't buddies.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
Id love to participate.  Perhaps a membership fee that would cover the travel of judges to location if none are close by?

Oh, and you must shoot 90 degrees to the wind.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »
  Sleek, anything you do has some costs involved. If a club wanted to sponsor some officials to fly to where they are that would be up to them. Putting together a uniform filight station would not be real expensive but a small entry fee would proably need to be charged to cover that. Maybe the same kind of fees you see at a 3-d shoot would work ok.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:08 am »
sounds like fun

if the two local officials had a fairly simple job about how to measure and document the shots, I could imagine smaller clubs having shoots, and more folks getting interested
sometimes target shooting get boring

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 09:23:22 am »
Sounds like a great idea to me.
There isn't any primitive flight shooting in the UK but I'd love to be able to post internet results. I expect I could probably find a witness to verify my results (but I'm sure you'd all trust me anyway  O:) ! )
I'm not interested in trying to claim records, but I's love to see how I fare against other similar bows and to see the bows.
BTW. I'd suggest man made strings are allowed for reliability.... but I can use linen if necessary.
Del
(First rule of Flight Club... there is no Flight Club ;) :laugh:)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:38:45 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »
  Del, I feel as you do about the strings but I would go with the majority of whatever committee we form. ELB presently use modern strings. Too skinny of a string can cut into a bow so maybe we could come up with a modern string is ok but must be a certain weight per inch or diameter. We could still keep them on the small side but not like banjo strings. Mark Hill, lives in England and if the two of you or some other ELB builder just took the time to study up on the rules you could both become officials.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 12:13:39 pm »
     I would be that in a very few years maybe 3 all existing primitive records would be taken if we had guys all over the world shooting for them. Once the record setting trend leveled off I would imagine a little less open sharing of methods would start to play in.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 03:47:49 am »
     I would be that in a very few years maybe 3 all existing primitive records would be taken if we had guys all over the world shooting for them. Once the record setting trend leveled off I would imagine a little less open sharing of methods would start to play in.
That could be so, but I'd view it more as a community, where we could see what others were ahieving. At the moment, there are people dotted around the globe doing their own thing.
Maybe "records" would need to be ratified. After all there would be a lot of variables and inaccuracy. Wind, slope, measuring direct arrow to the shoot position (much simpler) rather than parallel to the shoot line, measurement method etc.
Hopefully the spirit of primitive archery would remain.
I'm keen to even see some basic info. Wood, poundage, draw length, bow style distance.
It would be a good way to help identify like minded individuals in the same area and then maybe get a meet organised.
Full disclosure of what one does and how is always down to the individual. I don't have many qualms about showing what I do as the 'messers' and flybynights won't have the understanding or patience any way. The real enthusiasts will want to experiment and try their own twist on things, they'll take what works for them and try to push it further.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.