Author Topic: Abo Squirrel Grip  (Read 10296 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Abo Squirrel Grip
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:12 am »
A friend of mine got a new pellet gun so once he got it zero'd in he went and shot a squirrel for the heck of it.  He threw it in the freezer and tells me to come get it.  I obliged and went over and skinned it.  I case skinned with the tail on.  The tail just slipped off which I still not really sure how that works but it seems to happen every time. 

I cut the squirrel skin to dimensions with a novaculite flake I picked up.  Realized I couldn't find my bone needle so I made a new one and sewed the hide on with the stitch being on the belly side.  It was possibly the worst sewing job in the world but the fur hides that pretty well.  I left the tail on I figure it'll blow a little in the wind and keep me updated on wind direction. lol

Anyway, I thought it was cool and it's so soft!  When you draw an arrow across it there isn't a sound.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Abo Squirrel Grip
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:20:38 pm »
great idea! I just found a roadkill squirrel, might do this for my next bow!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:37 am »
I like it.

How does it hold up with sweaty palms?
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
They make good bowtrings, very tough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:10 pm »
I like it.

How does it hold up with sweaty palms?
I don't know I made it since I've been up in Georgia and it hasn't gotten warm enough for me to have sweaty palms.

They make good bowtrings, very tough.
I been wanting to get a few and give it a try.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »
Hey Tim,
How do you keep the tail from stiffing up?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »
Hey Tim,
How do you keep the tail from stiffing up?
DBar
Haha, I have no idea.  I made sure that all the bone got out of the tail... if that answers your question?  I did nothing to the skin besides take it off the squirrel and trim it up.  When I sewed it the skin had not dried hard yet as it was still fairly fresh.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 12:14:55 am »
   CROOKET ARROW told me the IRQOUIS made them into rawhide solfen and braided, twisted them into bow strings. He once did it for me. Took 6 fox squirrels to make a braided raw hide string. Boiled in the brains to get the raw hide suple (solf),braided it while wet it let it dry, finished with heat gun and bee's wax.

He said fox squirrel makes a tuffer string than grays. I hav'nt had any exsperance so I'm not sure if it's true. I do know I put one on my bow. He used it all that fall and killed 2 doe's with it on a IRQOUIS 58" long bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING