Author Topic: Winged Bannerstones and the Bi-Lobed Arrow Motif  (Read 27862 times)

JacksonCash

Re: Winged Bannerstones and the Bi-Lobed Arrow Motif
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »
Saginaw/Bay City in Michigan. Right in the crook of the thumb.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:56 am »
Just thought I would bump this thread up with a video of a nice collection of bannerstones and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLvpR2ExFPw&feature=youtu.be
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2015, 10:29:27 pm »
Here is a photo of a copper bannerstone that I got off of arrowheadology.  I need to track down the source and also need to see of there are other items like this.

---http://www.arrowheadology.com/forums/arrowheads-indian-artifacts/14150-show-me-your-copper.html

Patrick,

I don't know if you found what you were looking for on this copper banner stone but I found some documentation on it. 

In Byron Knoblick's 1939 book Bannerstones of the North American Indian he has two photos of the bannerstone, some back ground and some measurements.  Page 323, 334-336 is the reference.

The banner is 5 inches wide and the blades are roughly 5 inches tall.   The thickest part is about 5/8" thick with a 3/8 hole drilled.  The report says 1/4" but I measured the full scale photo and the hole was 3/8.   The rest of the banner is thin.  It was discovered in Wisconsin and is thought to be the only example of its kind. 

The image you posted looks just like the one pictured here.  That right side has the same indentation or damage. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2015, 10:48:33 pm »
Bravo, Swampy,
I know we may have polar opposite ideas about bannerstones
but I always look forward to your informative posts.
What I am impressed by most is the last illustration.
That bannerstone/ bannercopper looks like it was balanced
on a diamond cutters scale.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2015, 08:38:32 am »
Wow, that's awesome!  I got sidetracked and stopped pursuing the bannercopper.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2015, 10:45:02 pm »
Follow up on the copper bannerstone, it is housed at the Miluakee Public Museum.  Here is an excerpt regarding the bannerstone on their website. 

" This type of artifact is quite rare and few have been found throughout the Great Lakes. Because of their resemblance to stone examples, it is believed that these implements would have functioned as an atlatl weight, similar to banner stones of the same size and shape. This example (43402/11996) measures 13 x 12.5 x 1.6 centimeters and was discovered with a cache of 20 other copper artifacts in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin during the construction of a sewer trench in 1916"