Author Topic: Mark Stretton 200lb Guinness World Record blog  (Read 36568 times)

Offline Frank Thornton

Re: Mark Stretton 200lb Guinness World Record blog
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2015, 08:29:19 am »
You may all find this site interesting...it's the source of John T's post. As he rightly says, there's nothing new under the sun. I think however, this article was probably intended as an instruction for flight/leisure shooting.
http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/gallice/docs/chapter09-1.html

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:52 am »
You may all find this site interesting...it's the source of John T's post. As he rightly says, there's nothing new under the sun. I think however, this article was probably intended as an instruction for flight/leisure shooting.
http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/gallice/docs/chapter09-1.html

You're probably right Frank......I've always thought though, that a lot of this information has probably been plagiarised from the earlier work referred to as "The Art of War" (Clearly nothing to do with Sun Tzu!), that I assume, had a distinctly more martial flavour, rather than being a leisure and flight instruction manual.

This work "Art De L'Archerie" was written in old French, published in Paris in 1515, possibly penned by our former allies the Gascons and makes reference to "wearing a sword on your left side", clearly not an accoutrement for the sporting archer and also mentions in several places "amongst the English" this and "amongst the English" that and also gives reference to fletching suitable for war arrows (as well as target/butt shooting arrows).....so my thinking is that this book was possibly a follow-on from an earlier English work, re-written and revised to transfer what knowledge the French has gleaned from witnessing and possibly fighting alongside the English during the HYW.

Of course all this is just my personal opinion, but as we have no earlier written references from this period  and the available 2-D drawn/painted representations of medieval archery can be misleading at best, I take this as the best information currently available on the archery of the 15th century.

Hope everyone enjoys the read and (much to Del the Cat's disgust  ;)) are now busy experimenting with hopping and skipping about on the shooting line trying to add a few yards to their distance shooting! LoL

All the best,

John T.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:29:40 am by Heffalump »
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 09:09:20 am »
My disgust was pretty much used up when that dodgy hazel exploded on the tiller a couple of days ago.
It was the waiting a year for it to season that annoyed me...
So I nipped out from work this lunch time (just before the thunder and lightening started :o ) and cut a nice length of 3 1/4" diameter Hazel ;D
I shall record how it fares being rapid seasoned... hope to have it shooting buy April 1st  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:29 am »
Shame Del, the piccies on your blog looked very interesting.  I've got a really wobbly hazel stave I'm hoping to do something with, so I'll be following with interest.

Good luck with the next one!

Offline PatM

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:28 am »
Will, Is the hemp string article on the" last mean wood bow" thread anything to do with the string  information that you were talking about?
 It's on the page that's linked.

Offline WillS

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »
Don't think so.