Author Topic: fake snake skins  (Read 3007 times)

Offline rover brewer

fake snake skins
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:06:56 am »
just got some fake snake skins from 3 rivers , no manufacture suggested how to install so, just wondering if you soak them in water before you glue, same as other backing material like cloth.thanks for any help.
john 3:16

Offline nlester

Re: fake snake skins
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:15 am »
No need to soak.  TBII will work for your adhesive.  Once it dries, put a light coat of TBII over the skin.  That really helps to make the snake pattern stand out.  Good luck

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:07 am »
thanks for your reply, I guess this  being a new product there's not much research or experience on this , I have also asked 3 rivers, haven't heard back yet, so as soon as I find out I will post. thanks again for your reply I'm sure there's nothing wrong with how you done yours I was just hoping to get a few more replies.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:39:12 pm »
Thats how I would do it too. I like the TBII. dries clear. Its pretty good stuff for backings I think.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:55:48 pm »
OK so far I got 3 answers 2 say soak, squeeze, glue and one said glue dry and seal, I did the soak, squeeze and glue, but I have another bow I'm going to order fake skins for it and I will do it dry.Oh the answers came from manufacturer.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »
I've used them several times.  Dry over bamboo is what I did.  Wet may be better as I used tb3 and wished for a longer dry time.  If you get air pockets just work some glue under them from the edge.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:19:26 pm »
thanks prarie bowyer, I did use tb3 and will be sealing with tru oil.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 08:18:38 pm »
I lay the fake snake on the bench, pattern side down and then squirt TBIII down the center.  I use a rubber spatula to squeegee the glue around.  Then a thin layer of glue squeegeed across the bow limb using the spatula, then mate'em up!

If you want, you can squeegee a little glue into the fabric once it has dried.  Seems to seal it all down nicely.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Renacs

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 08:46:34 pm »
lets see some pics. i'm interested to see how they turn out.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:35 am »
thanks JW that's more or less how I done it except for using a spatula , I used my hand with rubber glove. I'm thinking about light coat of tb3 over the skins or just start coating with tru oil.Renacs I will see about posting pics it would have to be from my phone don't have a camera.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 08:50:01 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44744.135.html....osage outlaw did a follow along and put some on.  They look pretty good.