Author Topic: Congratulations to Falcon for winning November Self BOM!!!!  (Read 3765 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Falcon for winning November Self BOM!!!!
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:13:32 pm »
November Self BOM 2014

Aaron Huhs (Falcon), from Overland Park, Kansas won the November Self Bow of the Month contest with his Relfexed Diamondback Osage bow that he built for a friend.  This is Aaron’s first BOM entry and an outstanding inaugural entry. Way back in the hot days of summer Aaron and I traded. I sent him a pair of Western Diamondback rattlesnake skins that Diego and I had rounded up.  The skins went to Kansas, the meat Gus cooked up with a gourmet flare at Huegua Primitive get together and the vertebrae went to Canada to Cameron Bergerman. It is always fulfilling to see God’s beautiful creations put to use. Not just “good” use, but artistic and functional use in the hands of master craftsmen. Given up from Texas’ bosom, warmed by our ever serving sun and cooled by the hand of winter the circle of life with this pair of rattlesnakes continues to inspire us on Aaron’s bow. I still remember that hot summer day when Diego and I cleaned rattlesnakes in the yard as the girls- Serena, Hannah and Chelsea fussed at us. Never did I imagine that months later I would be seeing these skins again. The pictures of the bow with the fall colors and red oak leaves turned golden brown remind me of Robert Frost poem After Apple Picking, “But I am done with apple-picking now. Essence of winter sleep is on the night, The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.”  Aaron, Congratulations amigo on winning the November Self Bow of the Month contest!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49253.msg672228.html#msg672228

Aaron describes his bow as only a bowyer can:  This is my latest bow, it is a 64" t/t osage that I built for a friend. It pulls 55# @ 29".  This was a great piece to start with, no real straightening required, I just reflexed the tips for some extra speed.  This turned out to be a really nice shooting bow that pulls smooth. I added some buffalo horn tip overlays and some western diamond back skins that I got from Cipriano (thanks buddy).  The grip is elk leather with buckskin lacing.  I sealed it with 3 coats of gloss polyurethane, and 1 coat of satin poly, which I was hoping would cut down on the sheen more than it did. I also added string grooves, but I didn't get a good picture of those or the horn tips before I delivered  the bow. This is my 6th bow, Thank you all for your help along the way.

Primitive Archer forum members weighed in on Aarons bow:
very nice.  I really like the way you brought the skin back from the edges to give that yellow border effect.  Russ
That's a beautiful bendy stick dude!  Nice work on the skins and tips   Peacebow_Coos
You should be proud. That bow is well done all around.    Weylin
Looks like a heck of a nice bow and a good shooter to boot, very nice work all around on that one Falcon. Badly Bent
Lovely bow, I really like the neat lacing on the handle grip. duke3192
Congratulations Aaron!  A well deserved win in a tough bit of competition!  Josh

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.