Author Topic: a poor attempt ( now with fd curve )  (Read 16409 times)

Offline Badger

Re: a poor attempt ( now with fd curve )
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »
  It might benefit some and then again it might take more set. More set is almost a certainty.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:16 pm »
Guess I will leave it be then. Gadda get my chono out... and a grain scale. Mine broke.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 06:48:15 am »
Anyway this bow is more than a poor attempt.
Give this design another trial!
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 10:46:44 am »
Seems im only storing 86.8% of full draw energy here. I need way more than that to get near to Steve's bow. Perhaps if I drop the draw weight some, and rake advantage of the reduced stress on the wood to add more reflex for higher early draw weight?  I may make one more of these bows but not untill I have learned all this one can offer me.

On this bow I have only the middle third working. The limbs are elliptic shaped ( think narrow paddle bow? ) and only bend in the fattest area. The working section on each limb is 15" long on each limb. I have 7" stiff tips, bow limb width is 1.25" at its widest with a long handle fade area 20" long.

Next one I would build, so far, I would only make a wider limb to allow for more reflex and less set. Id keep everything else the same. Should I?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 01:11:39 pm »
 Sllek, I don't think you have enough wood to do that, you would need about 5" reflex and need to have all the bend right out of the handle. Take advantage of the nice clean lines you have and just thin down the tips, that bow should shoot very well if the wood is dry.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:51 pm »
These designs take a few tries and then some to get somewhat right and dialed in. I've made some,and still feel like I have some room for improvement with them. Soooo....keep on keeping on. Learn from this one,adjust,and try again and again. You put forth a good effort here,and I wouldn't call it a poor attempt.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
With a real curve !
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 09:09:24 am »
What a swizz... I expected a curve... not a string of numbers >:(  ;).
So... I've plotted it for you :) (courtesy of Excel and paint)
It's pretty linear, within the limits of measurement error.
Initial draw weight comes up fairly quick rather than being a straight line from zero. E.G the main straight line, if extended crosses the zero draw line at about 6#. In reality there is obviously zero pounds at zero draw, but presumably this is some sort of indication of the stored energy at brace?
Del
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:14:34 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 02:12:36 am »
it seems that the deformation concentrates on the areas near handle,which would result in over compression of fiber