Author Topic: Primitive shoot arrows build-along. Low budget. Modern tools.  (Read 15344 times)

icu812

Re: Primitive shoot arrows build-along. Low budget. Modern tools.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 11:10:05 pm »
It's best to heat the shoots over coals, but I was running short on time this evening. Just be careful not to scorch them if you're using open flames. I didn't use any sort of oil on the shaft.. just heated them while dry. Oil is supposed to help the heat penetrate deeper, more evenly, and reduce the chances of scorching.

I like to heat the area I'm trying to correct to a golden brown color, others prefer to heat until too hot to touch, but without browning. Whatever you like! Keep the shaft moving while it's in the flames. Keeping it in one spot a moment too long will scorch it.

Be careful. They can get hot enough to bite ya if you're not wearing gloves.

I heat them til they're golden brown, and then place them in the straightener. You can use the same hand, or your free hand to squeeze the shaft toward the straightener. I like to apply the pressure at about 3-4 inches from the straightener. When I try to bend while holding lower on the shaft, say 12 inches down, it usually takes one bend out and creates another in the process.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:09:01 am by icu812 »

icu812

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:29 pm »
Here's a shaft after initial straightening. I'm not going for laser straight, just straight enough to dry nicely in the bundle. They'll probably warp slightly over the next few weeks anyway.

Be careful when you're using a tool to produce concentrated compression. When you add a little mechanical advantage, it's easier than you'd think to crush the wood fibers. I started with 14 shafts.. and only 9 survived. I got a little too frisky with the super sapling tool. My victims collapsed toward the nock end where the shaft was thinner and I lost too much length. Here's a photo of the crushed fibers.

icu812

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 11:26:23 pm »
Here are the survivors of the initial straightening. As you can see I lost some length on a few after crushing them. There's still enough room to account for checking and final cut-to-lenght. That's another reason I like to harvest them extra long. These little fellas really gained some strength from the heat. I have no doubt they'll be fine for a 55 pounder, maybe even a touch on the stiff side. Time to bundle them up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:44:45 am by icu812 »

icu812

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 11:38:17 pm »
Since this is a low budget build, I refused to drive across town to purchase a new can of sealer. I found this old can of MinWax satin poly in a box I had in my closet (we moved recently). I use paint, polyurethane, or wood glue to seal the ends to minimize splitting while drying. I pour an inch or two into a water bottle that I cut in half and dip the whole bundle in at once. I'll be doing some finish sanding before fletching so I don't really care if they get slopped up with a little poly.

Then, split them up 50/50 with big ends up/little ends up to make for a more uniform bundle, and spiral wrap 'em up with whatever you've got lying around. Paracord, shoe laces, plant fibers.. the choice is yours! I had a roll of Jute twine so I went with that. We won't add this to the cost of the build since any rope-like object will work.

For some reason these photos make them look really charred! I promise I didn't scorch them. In person they're golden to dark brown.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:02:25 am by icu812 »

icu812

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 11:55:49 pm »
Now the hardest part of the whole process..............waiting.

I've got another bundle drying on top of these. They're miscellaneous shoots I harvested last week (plum, rose, and another mystery shoot). I'm going to let them season a little longer though, so for now lets pretend they're not in the picture.

I think I'll let these mystery shoots sit in my closet for a couple weeks and finish this build-along two Sundays from now. I'll check them once a day to see how they're doing though. It's really dry this time of year so they might be dry-ish in a week.

So far we've spent $7 on a folding saw (optional), $9 on a knife (could replace saw), $0.30 on a lighter, a little fuel, free straightener, free fire wood, and at one time or another probably $5 on that can of MinWax. I'm not sure how to tally up the total for the tools though, because I've had them for a while and they'll last a long, long time. If you have a knife or a hatchet laying around, I think you could count this all as $5 plus fuel so far since you'd have to buy some sealer. I'll let you guys be the judge.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:00:18 am by icu812 »

Offline Buck67

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 07:04:43 am »
The wood looks like Basswood.  It grows in clumps around old stumps.  I wonder if there is a stump below all that grass.

icu812

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 09:45:36 am »
There could definitely be some stumps under there. It's in an area along the bank that has mostly dead trees and there are large dead standing basswood trees. The locals drive out there and cut them down for firewood. There are stumps everywhere.. fresh.. old.. and probably buried under the grass.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 06:23:13 pm »
Basswood makes a good arrow.  A little heavy but sturdy.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »
I think you got the idea for your arrow straightening tool from allergic Hobbit on YouTube he is on here known as jack crafty he makes a cool exactly like that on a video for straightening arrows that is the only other place I've ever seen that type of tool good job by the way :-)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 11:30:51 am »
Nice buildalong.
I would be a little worried that removing bark and dry heating before seasoning could induce checks
Personally I prefere to manually bend with bark on while green (no fire)  and make the last heat bending/ straightening only when dry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 11:39:36 am »
I agree with Glis. I only know of one hardwood shoot that you can remove the bark while it is green and will not check and that is sourwood. Every other I've tried has checked. I have heard that you can leave about 1" of bark on each end and they won't check but I've never tried that. I like my arrow shafting well seasoned anyway.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:14 pm »
I'll be watching this one! Good info so far for sure! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jayman448

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:42 am »
so ingorant noob question: ive seen that stick tool for straightening a lot. is there any specific specs on how to make one and also how exactly does it work? you just heat it and torque it with that tool?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 08:44:02 am »
Jay, an arrow wrench works well but I only use one for extreme bends. There is no specific design that I know of, just be sure the areas that contact the shaft are beveled well as not to dent the wood when you use it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

icu812

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:31 pm »
Sorry fellas. I know this build has been hanging around unfinished for a little bit. Having a slow recovery from an oral surgery and been runnin' low on mojo the past few weeks. Gonna try to finish up this weekend if I get some time. I haven't forgotten!