Author Topic: My New Osage Selfbow, "Bloodshot"  (Read 17055 times)

Offline tom sawyer

My New Osage Selfbow, "Bloodshot"
« on: January 19, 2008, 02:12:11 pm »
I have a friend named Tony who is an excellent bowyer.  He sticks to the primitive end of bowyering and has a definite style he prefers, namely, bendy handled R/D profile osage selfbows.  His nocks are particularly distinctive, they are really petite.  I really like this style of bow so I asked him to craft me one when he found time.  In spite of going through some serious trials and tribulations these past few months, he found time to make a bow for me.  I got an email from his wife earlier in the week, and I was champing at the bit to get over and see my new bow but only had time to get it last night.  I had high expectations, and even so I was extremely surprised with what he turned out.  Well maybe not surprised, but definitely in awe of his skills.

Stats on the bow are as follows:  57" n/n, 50lb@27", roughly 1.25" at the handle and tapering to just under 3/8" at the nocks.  I had to throw in a pencil to give you the true perspective of the size of his nocks.  Because of their size and the very small loops he uses on his FF strings, you HAVE to string and unstring using a stringer.  Lots of character in both limbs.  R/D side profile, tillered so all wood is stressed evenly at full draw.  This is evident in the full draw shot, where you see the outer limbs look fairly straight.  This is because they are bending farther due to their initial reflex.  This is the smart way to tiller such a profile IMHO.  Rubbed with a little red stain that resides primarily in the spring wood, its subtle but you can see it in the wood in pic of the bow's name.  Finished with Formbys tung oil, my favorite finish for osage.  Has a leather grip and mink strike plate for a Native American feel.

I'd like to sibmit this for BOM for him.  Hope you enjoy the photos as much as I am enjoying shooting this bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: My New Osage Selfbow, "Bloodshot"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:19:51 pm »
Wow Lennie, that's a real beauty. I really like the braced profile and the full draw looks great too and those small tips are sure to add some speed to it. Great bow.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:36:18 pm »
Oh my that is a splendid bow. The tiller looks right on for that profile and those tips, well, what more can you say about those - perfect. My compliments to the bowyer.
Gordon

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »
Tell him congratulations on an outstanding bow. That looks like a great shorty brush bow. You are fortunate to have so many guys around you into this kind of thing.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:58:22 pm »
That is an outstanding bow for sure, I hope Tony and Jessica are doing well, they have sure been through some tough times.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 03:17:22 pm »
Beautiful work!!! ;)
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
Beautiful job on that bow, I love bows like that. Doesn't appear to be stacking at all. Steve

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 03:30:47 pm »
What a terrific bow. I always admire those who can make those unique nocks. Miine always look like a thumb.

I really think you should keep that bow away from the sack of charcoal, at least for photos. ;D

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »
Are you sure that's not 67"? ;D  That's a lot of draw for a 57" bow.  Wow, great design.  I'm working on something similar out of Yew but I think I'm going to have to use quite a bit more wood than he did.  Great bow.  

J. D.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 04:07:30 pm »
The tiller looks exceptional.  I love the efficiency of such a bow.  Thanks for sharing it, I'm sure it will do well in BOM.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:06:46 pm »
Tony has really fine tuned this design and his execution of same over the last several years.  His hunting bow this year is very similar.  He had some concerns about me tuning arrows to the bow, but my standard arrow (29", 125gr, 50-55spine) is coming off clean and hitting where I'm looking.  The bow is a very good performer.

I haven't shot much lately, I ended up shooting one arrow down the hill into the weeds and another into the wooden post next to the bag target.

I agree with everyone's comments about the bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »
Great looking bow. Wow. Awesome. I'm running out of complimentary adjectives and interjections, but it deserves a few more. Looks like he squeezed every drop of bow out of the stave.

PS-that's a mighty fine looking pencil you have there, too.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:13:24 pm »
Really is an outstanding bow lennie, I like everything about and am really jealous
that you have green grass ;) BTW did the sinew arrive yet?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 08:53:11 pm »
Different. I like it.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:10:01 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
   Petite,is the word for that bow. I like it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?