Author Topic: My New Osage Selfbow, "Bloodshot"  (Read 17054 times)

Dingleberry

Re: My New Osage Selfbow, "Bloodshot"
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 09:19:25 pm »
Great bow Mr. Sawyer!  You sure do crank out some great bows quickly.  I think you may need a bigger trailer to showcase your bows this year at the Tn. Classic. ;D

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:26 pm »
As I stated initially, this is a bow that my friend Tony made for me.  I won't be claiming to have made it for several more months yet.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Dingleberry

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 11:15:34 am »
My apologies. ;D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 03:39:26 pm »
That's a good looking bow, I might have to try a similar design myself sometime. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »
Really petite in features, no excess wood on that one. I also like the nocks. He does fine work
VB

Offline Postman

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
That's a real beauty....any chance we could get a close up pic and or description of how he did the mink strike plate? haven't seen anything like that yet in my short time here.  Also, did you know if he stained the areas with streaks  a special way to make them "pop out" ? have some staves with streaks like that i'd like to have them look like that.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Rich Saffold

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 02:12:24 pm »
That is sweet! I really like the r/d "D" style bows. Crazy how good they shoot! Bet that mink feels real good! ;)

Rich

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 04:18:54 pm »
I don't know how he applied the strip of mink, I would expect contact cement.  I'll ask him when I see him next, which probably won't be for a week or so.  Same thing for the red stain, I assume he wiped it on briefly and then rubbed it off pretty hard to remove it mostly from the summer wood.  It would stay in the pores of the spring wood though, and it does look nice.  I've seen osage with natural streaks like this too.

Yeah Rich, that mink feels as smooth as a baby's...ear.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Jess Prater

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 06:26:42 pm »
I would sure like to be able to build a bow like that.  I bought my first Bois D'Arc stave on e-bay and am waiting for it to arrive.   I have no idea how hard it will be to try to build something like that yet.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 07:12:07 pm »
Congrats on your acquisition.  I think you'll find that a bendy handle design is more forgiving to make that the stiff handle design.  Adding a little reflex here and a little deflex there, is no big deal with osage.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Jess Prater

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:21 pm »
Lennie,

Do you mean a "D" bow that has a consistent width and bends throughout??  I was thinking of following TBB.  They described a method to chase a ring.  I thought that type bow had a fairly rigid handle that thickened around the handle, then flared out and thinned thickness on each stave half.  I need to brush back up on that section.  I may not have understood what they were saying.  Can you refer me to a style like you are thinking about?  I'm new to this and value your opinion.

Jess

Rich Saffold

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 09:24:11 pm »
I've wrapped lots of beaver, mink and other furry animals on grips. Usually I like to use the white glue that we all used in school, or tb2. They both stick down the hides of these creatures to wood very quickly..Just cut a strip that fits, and glue it on...

You can use contact cement too....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 11:36:23 am »
Jess, the design I refer to as a "D" bow, has a consistent width that is more or less maximal at the handle and starts to taper either immediately or at around mid-limb (where it starts, is kind of a metter of personal preference and how much width you start with).  This bow bends through the handle, in fact it often appears to bend more in the middle half of the bow than at the tips.  It usually has a fairly circular tiller, with a bit stiffer tips just to maintain a decent string angle at full draw.

There is often some confusion about names on these.  It might be because the letter "D" has more of an elliptical shape, which is the preferred tiller for a stiff-handled bow.  The design I described above, is a "D" in the sense that the whole piece of wood bends and contributes to the stored energy.  It allows you to use a shorter piece of wood for the bow.  The tradeoff (there's always one of these isn't there) is that you are holding onto a spot that bends and it can result in a little more hand shock depending on the tiller and the poundage of the bow.  I think Baker (in one of his TBB articles) recommended this design for bows up to 50lb.  I know you can go to 60lb and still not have a bow with poor manners, but you'll want to keep tips small.  This is why my friend uses these very small tips, he hunts with a bow just like he made for me only its 60lb.

Rich, great I always have some Elmers laying around.  You can even lick off the excess that way.  Don't try that with contact cement.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Bowfolks

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »
This is Jesica here...Tony's wife. He loves to make bows. His knocks are tiny. I will print this topic off and take it up to Tony's room to get some questions answered. He makes bows in our basement...Osage dust and all. I buy his supplies and let the rest to him. We have been at Barnes since Tuesday of this week for Seizure Monitoring. The staff here at Barnes has been so very wonderful to us. This all will make his day.   :)

Thank you for the kind remarks. I've tried to suggest Bow of the Month to Tony before, but he is much too humble for any recognition.

Lennie...great pencil!!!!!

Take care,
Jesica

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 06:58:34 pm »
You and Tony are staying at a barn in the middle of St Louis?!  You country folk know how to live.  Watch out for Clydesdale droppings, step in one of those and we might not find you again.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO