Author Topic: Unfinished Osage Bow  (Read 16346 times)

Offline (bow)Hunter

Unfinished Osage Bow
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:40:11 pm »
I received this unfinished bow from a friend of my brother's several weeks ago. It's a beautiful osage spliced together at the handle with flipped tips. My brother, unfortunately couldn't remember what exactly his friend said was the next step for this bow. I'm not a very experienced bowyer (working on bow 3 right now!) so I don't want to ruin this! I was hoping to get some insight here, I think I just have to back it and maybe some finishing touches? The nocks indicate it's already started tillering and the handle has "55-60" on it so it's probably finished.

Offline chamookman

Re: Unfinished Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:58:07 pm »
Are You in Michigan (bow)hunter ? Can You find out a bit more on the bow ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »
That looks like a Gary Davis bow blank. It is probably at floor tiller stage. If it is one of Gary's bows you probably don't need to back it either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
Looks like a Gary Davis blank possibly to me  ???

Looks like its ready to start tillering to me. Have at it

Edit...pat beat me by seconds...lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »
Yup, that looks like Gary's writing. Most of his blanks are nearly tillered, you just tweak a bit and reduce draw weight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
Yep, and the resorsinal glue in joint. That's why I was asking where He is from - definitely a GSD Bow Blanc. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 02:31:05 pm »
Would 2009 be pre Matt Wirwicki? His are similar to Gary's.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:47:22 pm »
Matt has totally different chicken scratch Pat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline (bow)Hunter

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »
I'm actually in Texas (Houston/College Station when school starts back up), the bow is from Alabama, my brother went to Auburn for a couple of years where he met the guy and gave me the blank. I'm just drawing a total blank on what his name was! I don't think it was Gary though

Hunter

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 03:11:05 pm »
ok put it on long string and see how it bends, if it is even,, then it might string if the weight is not too high,,when strung you can adjust tiller if needed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:11 pm »
Hunter, Gary assembled that blank. Now how it got to you and your friends is another story, but that is a Gary blank all the way.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »
Will someone explain to me why the splice looks like that?

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:24 pm »
Yep, the splice looks very strange to me  :o
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline (bow)Hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
You're probably right Pearl, I just assumed it was from my brother's friend  because he's a very experienced bowyer!
So long string tiller to check the bend first then go from there?
And I probably don't have to back it?
There are a few small pin knots on the back of each limb and it's chrysalled on the belly where the tips are bent

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
I don't think those are crystals, looks like cracks from dry heat bending when someone got in a hurry.  :-\  They look a little deep to me, but cant really see the thickness at that point.   
DBar
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:36:33 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking