Author Topic: Snow shoe?  (Read 7404 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Snow shoe?
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:39:37 am »
Has any one out there made any snow shoes. Looking for some pics  and some knowledge on how to make a pair. Thanks

blackhawk

Re: Snow shoe?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
I have not,but have wanted too. There's some info out there online,and a couple books. Most use and say white ash is the best to use. Which I have plenty of sitting in my shop,and rawhide for the lacing.  Hmmm? Maybe its time I make my own. Shouldnt be too hard seeing I already have the skill sets and material to do so.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:17:06 am »
The book - "Camp and Trail Methods" by E. Kreps includes great how-to section on Snowshoes and a toboggan also. Old timey book available thru Fur-Fish and Game magazine. It's a great read - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:13:08 pm »
Do a search on here. I think someone on here made some a couple of years ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:38:34 pm »
I did as a boy scout out of willow. Larger for the U shaped frame, smaller woven to make the platform and bindings.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:33:08 am »
Been meaning to make some but just never get around to it. I have a book by Ben Hunt that has plans for a bear paw style of shoe.
Steve Bennett

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:45:33 am »
There's a TV station up here called APTN, it's aboriginal network TV, and they had an episode on there many years ago of a Cree in Northern Quebec making a pair of snowshoes during the Winter, did all the wood work on the spot with an axe.  He chopped down a White Birch sapling, split it in half and then shaped it.  He then heated the wood over a fire and bent it over his knee tying the ends together.  He had the rawhide lacing already prepared but unfortunately I don't remember the rest of the show so I don't remember how he did the lacing.  It was interesting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:37 am »
There's a TV station up here called APTN, it's aboriginal network TV, and they had an episode on there many years ago of a Cree in Northern Quebec making a pair of snowshoes during the Winter, did all the wood work on the spot with an axe.  He chopped down a White Birch sapling, split it in half and then shaped it.  He then heated the wood over a fire and bent it over his knee tying the ends together.  He had the rawhide lacing already prepared but unfortunately I don't remember the rest of the show so I don't remember how he did the lacing.  It was interesting
sounds fascinating

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »
I made a pair as a test last winter, cheaped out since I wanted to get the technique down before buying more expensive lacing, so I used hardware store rope. They don't work so well, due to that: there isn't enough surface area with the rope. Next pair will probably have rawhide lacing, when I get around to making them. I built a form from dumpster plywood and wood cutoffs and a steambox and soaking box from the same, I can put up pictures of them later.  The frames are buckthorn.

Stuff I learned:
1. My foot was too far from the tip, leading to tripping.
2. Again, not enough floatation.
3. Finding bindings that work is really hard, ended up using bicycle inner tubes, they work okay, though I will probably seek something better for my next pair

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »
i believe i saw that episode as well Marc or one like it. I do have a pair of snow shoes that are over 20 years old and the bindings that were leather cracked a couple years ago and i replaced them with a new style that fastens to the boot like a snowboard binding. it also has an ice cleat on bottom. Picked it up from local Home Hardware dealer.