Author Topic: Good Books  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Good Books
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 04:43:24 am »
Bow books. I just love reading them over and over again.
Jawge
Yeah, I picked up my tattered old copy of Hunting with the bow and arrow last night... there were bits in there I'd forgotten.
Great story in there of a museum curator offering to put on a chain mail shirt and have an arrow shot at him!
Instead they draped it over a wooden crate...
The arrow went right through with a shower of sparks and the curator turned a shade of green  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 09:07:47 am »
I remember that story, Del.

Let's see. A good list and in order which is, of course, my opinion.

The Bent Stick-Comstock- Great book for getting started.
TBB 1-4- Great books to sharpen knowledge
Hunting with the Osage Bow- Great read. Dean is an excellent writer.
The Art of Making Selfbows- Heavy on the osage. Quite detailed.

All of these are available from Horsefeathers Ranch here on the PA site.

http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/archery.htm

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jax666

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 01:44:28 pm »
I ordered TBB 1-4 and subscribed to PA.
Jerry

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:20 pm »
I also like Glenn St. charles Billets to bows and The flat bow by Hunt&metz
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »
Like Auggie mentioned, Billets to Bows, by Glenn St. Charles is another good one, and one that focuses on yew.  TBB1 covers all the basics, and like others have said here, this is the one to have if you have only one.
Dean Torges Hunting the Osage Bow is great stand alone book as well if you are planning on making an osage bow, though most of the principles covered apply to bow-making in general as well.
From the Den of the Old Bowhunter, the stories and photogrpahs of Chester Stevenson, Edited by Nick Nott is not an inctructional book by any means, but the hunting tales, the bow-making tidbits, and the photos of archery equipment are quite the inspiration.
I would love to get my hands on a copy of The Bowyer's Craft by Jay Massey, or his Book of Primitive Archery  Anybody have copies they would trade?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Will H

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 07:44:25 am »
I built my first bows over a decade ago after reading the bent stick. I was building mostly from ash and hickory slabs from a friend of mines sawmill. But I agree the TBB series is great!

I think the book that helped me the most in the early days was Dean Torges book "Hunting the Osage Bow."  The pages are falling out in my copy I've read it so much! Also, I've recently read Stim Wilcox's "art of making selfbows" Good read no doubt.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 04:21:28 pm »
As. fellow beginner, I also would recommend TBB (all 4 volumes, but especially 1 and 4) and "The Bent Stick".  May have been mentioned, but the Build-alongs on this site are VERY helpful.

I have also found that pestering the experts around here with constant annoying questions can be very fruitful!

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »
Consider making this a sticky?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Jax666

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »
Consider making this a sticky?
How do I make a sticky?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »
I think that's an Administrator's task/responsibility.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »
I do it by spilling sweet and sour sauce on the iPhone screen.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 07:37:10 pm »
Hunting the Osage Bow, by Dean Torges is THIS bowyer's bible.

I have TBB's 1-4.

HOB was the only reference I had when I made my first one and it still shoots. There's good info in there that isn't in the other books.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
I just ordered the first volume of the "Encyclopedia of Native American bows, arrows, and quivers" this weekend.  I can't wait for it to get to my door!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 11:23:07 am »
I read Deans Book first then
TBB 1-3 then got #4 when it came out
Also Al Herons Cherokee bows and arrows or whatever its called I would have to dig it out.
Of course my initial questioning here with these guys and on Paleo Planet when Tim Baker was active.
The other books mentioned are all great I'm sure. Just never needed more than what the above provided. Especially since we have this wonderful site to learn and share with.
The cool thing about it is once you get several under your belt and continue to come around here you pick up certain things from other peoples style and if you stay at it long enough you start to develop a style of your own.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 11:29:04 am »
There is a fist edition copy of The Bowyers Craft signed by Jay Massey on the big auction site right now for $50. I wish I could afford it right now.  Just thought I would pass this along to you guys hoping someone here gets it.