Author Topic: Shorter Bow question  (Read 3031 times)

Offline nlester

Shorter Bow question
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:59:34 am »
I have a bow that I'm working on that's 56 inch tip to tip.  I'm looking at getting it to draw out to 27-28 inches.  Will it be necessary for the bow to bend in the handle at that length.  I assumed it was necessary, but wasn't sure.  The limbs are only 1 1/4 wide.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline PatM

Re: Shorter Bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:50 am »
Depends on the wood and how much length you devote to the handle. With a narrow bow and good wood it is feasible to have a handle section that's just a few inches long that rests in the palm of the hand with the fades essentially being either side of the actual handle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:41 am »
It should bend in the handle or at least to the handle and you should probably kick the tips a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:09:55 am »
n, ya didn't say about the wood but if you want half bow length in draw, and it's a self bow.....make her bend all the way through, and tiller her even. Otherwise your get some expensive kindling.   Even a bend through will have to be tillered carefully right from the start to keep set to a minimum and keep from too much bend, and or set, in the grip.

Just one guy's opinion though, Also you have plenty of width for hunting weight.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:19:58 am »
Depends on the wood and how much length you devote to the handle. With a narrow bow and good wood it is feasible to have a handle section that's just a few inches long that rests in the palm of the hand with the fades essentially being either side of the actual handle.

That's my favorite working grip recipe. Regardless of wood species used.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nlester

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:36:34 am »
The wood is Osage.  The tips are flipped already.  I've pulled it out to 24 inches.  The handle area is roughly 6 inches long.  I've never made a bend through the handle bow.  This should be interesting. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 10:40:17 am »
Is the handle itself 6" long or is that the handle and fades?  Try bringing the bend back to the handle. That could give you a few more inches of draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nlester

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:10 am »
The handle is probably a little over 4.  With the fades, a little over 6.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 11:38:25 am »
Got pics?  ???  Unbraced and part drawn? Where you place the bend will dictate draw length as well.

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:23 pm »
I've got a pic on my phone, but I can't get it to photobucket right now.  I'll try later.